Tomorrow's the Day

The sentence never left Carlos' mind. 'Tomorrow is the day your whole life could change.' It was what Mrs Skiller had told Carlos and Mikey. The sentence never left Carlos' mind, and that was not a good thing. Every minute, every second, every moment Carlos thought about it, he felt like crying with nerves and fear; as unreal as it seemed, it was true. Tomorrow was the day Carlos' life could get worse or better. It was the day Carlos would finally be able to predict how the rest of his life would unfold. If everything went to plan, Carlos could get a job, work towards his dream, find a family and maybe travel the world, however, if that weren't the case Carlos would spend another five years of his life locked up, with not even the slightest sense of liberty. Even once he was released would he not have liberty; he would have a criminal record; nobody would want to marry him; nobody would want to hire him; he wouldn't be able to travel. Carlos couldn't bare the thought. He couldn't spend a minute thinking about the worst case scenario without sensing a chill run down his spine. He had one more chance. One more chance to get it right. There could be no mistakes. None at all.

Mrs Skiller had been giving Carlos and Mikey a lecture on how to behave during the trial, they needed to show positive body language when spoken to. Apparently, being polite and respectful would give the jury a good impression and would manipulate them into a positive verdict. Carlos wasn't convinced if that was the way he was supposed to win the case, but Carlos didn't care: as long as he wouldn't be locked up in that prison, he would be happy. 

Apart from that, Mrs Skiller had given the boys time to rest, whilst she sorted out all the admin work, she told them to relax themselves for what could be the most crucial day of their lives. Tomorrow was the day.