Responsibility

Mikey explained to Carlos his story, every little detail, and for the first time Carlos had somebody who trusted him, and Carlos could also trust someone else. The boys started chatting for around ten more minutes. It was mostly just Carlos explaining to Mikey what everything in the prison was like. Then, out of nowhere, the boys spotted a man coming towards them.

'Hi, Mikey. I'm Mr Parker and I will be sort of like a counsellor to you, for your first few weeks at the prison. Glad to see you have made friends already with young Carlos, wow, Carlos you have grown so much since I last saw you five years ago. You see Mikey, everyone that comes to this prison gets mental treatment form me, especially in the first few weeks,' the man said in a soft tone. Mikey did not reply. 'So, Mikey, you are here for manslaughter. So, a terrible crime you have committed.' Carlos instantly remembered this man. He was the one man whom everybody

'Yes...I know. I made a mistake, I regret it, but at the same time he did annoy me. I was forced into doing it,' replied Mikey.

'Mikey, there is only one person to blame for this. Do you know who that is?' Asked the counsellor.

'Scott Winchester,' Mikey said the name with so much anger and hatred.

'No,' the counsellor added, 'you have yourself to blame.'

'Oh, yeah,' Mikey added in embarrassment.

'Mikey, the sooner you understand that the better. Now that's enough for today. I'll see you tomorrow. Have a think about that,' the counsellor added before standing up and getting ready to leave.

But before he could leave, Carlos shouted, 'Wait.'

'What's wrong Carlos?' The counsellor asked.

'I have recently been feeling a little but upset,' Carlos stated.

'Oh no, why? 'Questioned Mr Parker.

'Loads of children, my age has got a proper life. They get educated, they get to do sport and so much more. I'm stuck in this prison, for something I did not do,' exclaimed Carlos.

'Carlos, you have not changed a bit from when I last saw you. You still think you are innocent. You are not. You were, until you committed that crime. Now you are not. So, get over it and the sooner you take responsibility the better,' the counsellor responded. 'And you Mikey, you think that Scott is to blame, when you swung a hammer at his foot, both of you learn to take responsibility.' The counsellor left the room, frustrated. How could Carlos take responsibility for something he did not do? Ridiculous!