Forwards for Freedom

'Mikey start the car. Sarah will close the gate any moment soon,' Carlos yelled. 'Drive.'

'Carlos. I don't know how to drive though,' Mikey replied.

'Doesn't matter. Just slam your foot on the pedal and we'll be going as fast as we can,' Carlos bellowed. 'You got this Mikey'.

Mikey pushed his foot on the pedal and the car zoomed faster than the beat of a heart, Carlos started to feel a little queasy, however, that did not at all matter, due to the fact that the gate was straight ahead and they were seconds away from passing through.

The boys were travelling faster and faster by every second that they were driving, and they were getting closer and closer to the gate, they had around a minute until the gates would fully close. One minute. One minute that would determine the rest of their futures. Already, the gates were beginning to close, however, it would take a long time until the gates would be fully closed. A long time? Only a minute. An eventful and crucial minute.

It was when the boys were more than half-way to the gate, and the gate was a quarter shut, that they noticed a car right behind them in swift pursuit. Mr Roberts, in the driver's seat, Greg in the passenger's seat, Bob and Jackson at the back. They were not making this escape an easy one. But there was no turning back now. The only way was forwards. Forwards to the gate. Forwards for freedom. Mikey used all his force and stepped on the pedal extra hard forcing the car to accelerate at a rate faster than ever before. They were now inches away from freedom, but the gate was now close to closing. It was dangerous. The car could get crushed by the gate, but they were not going to turn back after making it this far. Forwards were the way. It was worth the risk. Certainly.

The car was going faster than it ever did before and the boys just about made it past the gate, before it met the ground. The best part was that the car chasing them did not make it out in time. The warden waved to Sarah at the watchtower, signalling for her to open the gate. But Sarah did not budge, and the gate remained stationary. Why? Carlos looked over at Mikey, who always had an explanation.

'Sarah was instructedto not open the gate to let anyone out, look's like she did a good job of that.But we need to go quick before the cars come out to look for us,' Mikey said. Mikeywas right. They needed to go quick. But where were they going to go? Worst ofall, Mikey couldn't drive. Their job was far from over.