mouse

Everything was silent.

The only sound that could be heard was the rustling grass and the faint sound of wind chimes in the distance.

Miku loved days like these. The tiny boy loved to play with the bugs and explore the grass jungle and he loved shifting into his mouse form. Miku was a shifter, and his species were specifically mouse shifters. 

But little boys will be naive, little boys, and Miku was too absorbed in trying to catch a ladybug that he didn't notice the cat creeping up behind him.

She was a beautiful creature, with slick sand colored fur and piercing amber eyes, which were now trained on the little black mouse in front of her. 

Miku suddenly became aware of the cat, but it was too late. The cat pounced on Miku, who, in his terror, had shifted back. The cat blinked at this, and her whole demeanor changed.

The feline gently held Miku in her jaws, and she took him to an abandoned house. Miku cried, and he missed his father.

Miku was still whimpering when the cat shifted into a young woman, with the same sandy hair and amber eyes. 

 "I'm sorry. I didn't know that there were mice shifters as well." Her voice was raspy, and sounded catlike. Miku sounded like a mouse, his voice high pitched and squeaky.

 "It's okay, ma'am. We keep ourselves well hidden." Miku smiled halfway, but he was no good at hiding his emotions.

 "You must miss your parents, don't you? I'm sorry, I had to take you with me because I'm more noticeable when I shift. Because, um..." She gestured to herself, and Miku nodded at the human sized shifter.

 "But anyway, I'll take you back to where I found you, and try and spread the word that some mice are shifters as well. I hope that we haven't killed any of you little guys." 

 "Miss, what's your name? Mine's Miku. Papa says it's polite to be on a name basis."

 "Oh... Well. I've never really had a name, but I mostly go by Sandy. Like the fur color?"

 "Oh. Okay! Thanks for not killing me, Miss Sandy!"

 Sandy laughed and shifted, and this time she let Miku ride on her back.

 "This is so much fun!" The tiny boy laughed. Sandy meowed, causing Miku to giggle harder.

When Miku saw he was back where he belonged, he slid down and ran off.

 "Bye, Miss Sandy! Thank you for giving me a ride!"

 Sandy simply purred, and as she padded away she hoped she would see Miku again soon.