glancing

Callum had trouble focusing in class.

 How could he, when the girl he had a huge crush on sat right beside him? Silvia - that was her name - was a Microid. Microids were a species that was created decades ago after an experiment went wrong, thus creating a new species of humans that were around 2 inches tall. Luckily, Microids were accepted by society and countless laws were passed to protect the tiny beings. It got to where they made a law that pretty much covered everything,

  "If an action takes place that a Microid does not give consent to, [aside from schoolwork and their career; to an extent] then it is illegal."

Many organizations were created to raise awareness for the new species, and many other organizations supported them, Christian organizations being  heavy supporters and People of Color organizations also fighting to make Microids citizens. Other equality groups, like Feminism groups and LGBTQ+ groups were beyond helpful in making Microids equal citizens. Even the military supported the tiny beings! It really helped to bring everyone together, and now all of these communities are closely associated with each other, even though they don't support all of the same things. 

Of course, there were some that opposed Microids being equals. Some people thought that the scientists should try to find a cure instead, or at least keep the Microids in a secure area. Toy stores wanted to sell them to children as toys. Food companies were not wanting to make tiny food products, so they also voted against Microids. Even some education systems thought that Microids would be great to dissect.

Through heavy debate, Microids became members of society, and their population grew steadily. 

And here sat Silvia, right beside his head, seemingly oblivious to the fact that Callum kept staring at her. It took Callum nearly all of his willpower not to go "Aw!" when Silvia sneezed and then covered her mouth, the sleeves of her oversized sweater concealing her hands. 

A few times Silvia would timidly glance around, and during this particular moment Silvia looked around again, her tiny eyes locking onto Callum's. She quickly averted her eyes, and her cheeks turned a bright red, standing out against her pale porcelain skin. 

Silvia couldn't believe it. Why would he be staring at her? He was pretty much one of the most athletic guys in the school, and she, on the other hand, hated sports.

So why was he admiring her, with that goofy little smile on his face? In all honesty, he looked like a love sick puppy. She knew he was staring at her, she could feel his gaze. 

Any other person might have called Callum creepy, but Silvia honestly didn't mind all that much, she would have fawned over him if he wasn't doing it himself. But Silvia wouldn't let herself get her hopes up.

 It's not like he actually like -liked her. Humans weren't usually too keen on dating Microids, just as Microids were hesitant to date humans. 

But a little crush couldn't hurt, could it?