rise

The smell of eggs and bacon woke up Shaun.

 At first, he was tempted by the unfamiliar smell, but the scent quickly turned sour as he fully woke up.

He was on a fluffy surface, but it was something he had never felt before. The borrower yelped and tried to get up, but the soft pillow he was on sank underneath his feet each time he tried to get up, and he eventually flopped back down, breathing heavily.

"Oh! You're awake." A soft voice startled him, and Shaun started to sob profusely, scared for his life. 

A large hand approached him, and flinched when he flinched. 

"I'm sorry, little guy. I didn't mean to scare you." The feminine voice raised a little, and the frightened borrower could tell the human female was getting upset.

The hand retreated and the large female walked away. Shaun relaxed a bit, but be was still helpless. 

Before he could try to get up again, the human was back. She carried a plate, and Shaun started to cry again. This was how he was going to die.

He struggled, and the human stopped.

 "Shh, shh. You're fine. I've made breakfast for you."

 The plate was slowly placed beside him. Shaun could see that there was a tiny portion of the food he had smelled earlier. 

A hand came towards him again, and he whimpered. This time the hand didn't stop, and he was picked up. The surface that had trapped the poor borrower was removed, and he was put back down. The human backed away, her hands raised.

Confused, the borrower copied the gesture. The woman giggled and Shaun immediately put his hands down.

"Rise and shine™, sweetie." She said, and sat down at the counter he was on. The borrower skittered away. 

 "No, no. I won't hurt you. My name's Diane. I'm a waitress here, and my coworkers and I found you outside in the cold. I brought you a pillow to sleep on, and a coworker cooked you some food. Would you like to meet him?"

 "D-diane?"

 "Yes. Diane."

 Shaun nodded, and started to nibble on the food he was given. It was the best thing he had ever eaten, and before he knew it, he was searching the plate for extra crumbs. He walked over to Diane and tentatively touched her hand.

 "Yes?"

 "More?"

 "You want more? Alright."

 She turned around in her chair slightly. 

 "Gavin! He wants more food!" She said, a little louder. Shaun didn't even realize she was talking in a low voice. 

An even bigger human came in, carrying another plate. Shaun pressed against Diane, and she protectively put a hand around the tiny boy.

Gavin, his name was, replaced the empty plate with another plate, and this time the food was a little bit bigger. The other human left the room, and Diane removed her hand. Shaun joyfully ran over to the plate, but before he ate anything, he tore off a piece of his food and offered it to Diane.

"Food for Diane?" The human accepted the food gratefully, not wanting to hurt his feelings. He watched her eat it before he turned back to his food. When he was finished with his second, he turned around and patted his stomach.

"Full." He said. Diane smiled.

"You're full? That's good, little guy." Shaun furrowed his brows.

"Little guy?"

"I'm sorry. I don't know your name, so I gave you a nickname." Diane explained.

"Shaun. My name." Shaun pointed to himself, pleased that the human was being so nice.

"Shaun. What a nice name."

Shaun puffed up a bit at the compliment. Diane laughed. She gently cupped Shaun in both of her hands.

"So Shaun, how would you like it if I took care of you?"

"Like a... like a mom?" 

"Yea. Like a mom"

Shaun pondered the thought, but eagerly nodded after a few seconds.

"Yeah! Rise and shine™ every morning!" Shaun exclaimed happily. Diane laughed again.

"Yep. Rise and shine™ every morning."