refresh

I woke up in a dark place. 

Once my eyed adjusted, I looked around. There were more people, all dirty and scared. I assumed I was no different. 

Suddenly we all lurched forward. We seemed to be moved. 

There was a blinding light, leading to pairs of giant eyes. 

My ears were filled with the sounds of screams as a hand reached forward. 

A woman in her thirties was plucked carelessly out of the crate.

Hands kept coming and coming until I was the only one left. I wedged myself into a dark and damp corner as two huge green eyes scanned my prison. The next few moments were a blur, as my knee gave out and I sprawled out into the giant's view. It was over. I was done for.

I squeezed my eyes shut as the giant hand wrapped around me. I braced myself for a run crushing grip, but it never came. 

The giant placed me in an open palm and from there I was able to get a good view of my... well... I hated to say it, but the giant was my owner. And I was a pet.

The giant, a guy, who looked to be 16, my age, was actually pretty good looking. I mentally smacked myself, no time for dumb love. He had dirty blond hair that was messy, pale skin, and he had a nice muscular figure, his biceps slightly bulging in his grey hoodie. He had freckles dotted around his face, and of course, gorgeous green eyes. 

I saw my reflection in his eyes, and, to say in the least, I was disgusted with myself. My olive skin was caked in dirt, my long dark hair greasy, my figure skeletal, and my hazel eyes sunken into my face. I couldn't even tell what color the oversized shirt I was wearing was. My baggy sweatpants were just as bad. 

The boy suddenly clutched me to his chest,and I got a facefull of his hoodie. I didn't really mind all that much, but I would have appreciated a warning first.

I heard muffled voices and my owner then suddenly placed me in a wire cage. I struggled as he lowered me into the wired prison, but of course I was no match. He wrapped his huge arms around the cage, blocking my view.

I huffed and plopped down in a corner of the cage. The boy started walking, causing the cage to sway. I glanced at my knee, and shuddered at the huge bruise covering it. I honestly have no clue what happened, and I'm still trying to recall my own name.

Suddenly I remembered. My name. 

Lindsey. 

It was a huge accomplishment to me. I only remembered a handful of things, like my age and gender and some other basic knowledge.

I must have daydreamed for the whole car ride, because when I came back to reality my owner was stepping out of the car and into a building.

 "This is a store that sells things for humans like you." He murmurs into the cage. He sets the cage down on a counter and lets me out.

 "My uncle owns this, and I live with him and his family. He's crazy about humans, just like me. I'm so glad I got you. I don't want to think about what would have happened to you." At this, I shudder and scoot closer to the giant. He strokes me gently. 

 "There, there. It's okay. I'll let you pick out some clothing while I get some stuff for your... um... cage. Don't worry, once I'm through with it you won't even know it's a cage." I still keep silent. The giant offers me his pinky and says,

 "My name is Conner." I realize he wants me to shake his outstretched finger, a handshake. I do so.

 "My name is Lindsey..." I say, my voice hoarse and trembly.

Conner nods before scooping me up. 

 "Now to the clothing section!" He says happily.

Conner leaves me to my own devices while he gets stuff for that awful cage. I pick out some skin tight yoga pants, some skinny jeans, pajamas, crop tops, sweaters, long sleeved shirts, and a grey hoodie to match Conner's. I dress mainly for comfort and warmth. I also picked out some comfortable bras, underwear, and lowcut socks. For shoes I pick a pair of white converse and tennis shoes. I also grabbed a knee sleeve for my torn muscle.

Conner seems pleased with my choices and carries me back to my cage. He turned it into some sort of bedroom/apartment. Instead of the itchy pine shavings there is a slab of laminate wood, and in one of the corners there is a bathroom that gives me plenty of privacy, hopefully with a shower, too. In another corner there is a bed with a faded black bedspread. On the floor beside the bed is a lavender rug.

I like Conner's style.

Conner puts me inside the cage again, and I grab a pair of black yoga pants, a white crop top, undergarments, and the grey hoodie and knee sleeve. I go into the bathroom, which, Hallelujah, has a shower.

The shower is the best one I've ever had, and the layers of dirt washing of me felt like a weight lifted off my skin. I lathered soap onto my skin and washed my hair, restoring it.

I get out and dry off, then change into my outfit. I brush my now clean hair and walk out. Conner must have been waiting for me to finish because when I got out he picked me up and cradled me against his warm chest.

I quite enjoyed this, and soon I drifted off into a deep sleep.