adapt

I found him, innocent and fragile, in the midst of battle.

He was so tiny, so small, so miniscule. I could not get over how little he was compared to me.

 He was terrified of me. I didn't really blame him. I was his enemy. I was supposed to kill him, but he was just too precious. 

I picked him up, as gently as possible. He whimpered and struggled, but he was too weak. He did start to speak to me then, but we spoke completely different languages. I have no doubt he was begging me to take mercy on him.

I tucked the tiny being into the smallest pocket of my bag, and closed it halfway to keep him breathing. I hid him in my pack and kept him secret, because it was against the code to be in contact with the miniature enemy.

I quickly finished my mission and went back to base. I reported to my commander and rushed to my pod. Humans seemed to call pods apartments. Technically, they are. 

I let the human out of my bag, but I had to keep my hand near him so he wouldn't run away. Bless his soul, he was in tears. I tried to console him, but he couldn't understand me. I picked him up again and contacted my commander.

She asked me what I wanted, and I politely requested a translator. I lied and said that I had heard a human say something that might be important in the war. The translator device immediately materialized on my nightstand, much to the human's amazement and shock. 

He didn't know what to think of it. I laughed and turned the translator on, and explained to him what it was, and that I wouldn't hurt him. He told me that I was so big and scary and that he still felt scared of me. It made me a little frustrated, but I came to the conclusion that I just had to break the ice and then he would warm up to me.

I asked him to introduce himself, and although he stammered quite a bit, I learned that his name was Rory, short for Gregory. The name fit him well. I inquired more, but he demanded that I introduce myself as well. 

I frowned a bit at this, but nevertheless, I gave him my name, Kiivæ.

He shared more about himself, and I learned that he was around the same age as I was, but he was young for his species to be involved in war. He was 17, and I had just turned 18. I was one of the few of my people who kept track of their age.

I turned the translator off, and stared at him. He was cuter than any other creature I had ever seen. 

He was so different from me. He was a male, while I of, course, was female. 

His skin was a beautiful tan color, while I had ghostly pale skin in comparison. He had black curly hair that fell over his brown eyes a little, but I wore my dark green hair in what humans called a ponytail, so that no hair would be in my green eyes. 

Speaking of eyes, Rory had something over his eyes. I could still see his eyes, but it puzzled me to no end. 

Rory jumped at my every move. I had to restrain myself, because I wanted nothing more than to fawn over him and pet him. I broke down in less than 5 minutes and started to talk to him as if he were an infant. Rory reeled back from me, confused and indignant.

I decided that he wasn't to leave my presence, so I put him on my shoulder as I experimented with some spare parts, until I made something I saw fit for Rory to rest in. I padded the inside of it with a piece of cloth that I had cut up. 

Rory clamped on to my neck the entire time. I didn't really mind it, but I wish he trusted me more. When I showed Rory his bed, he hid underneath the cloth. I let him be, and got into my own bed.

The next day, I prepared Rory breakfast with the small amount of food I had, while I fed myself through photosynthesis.

Knowing how humans were quite modest, I motioned for Rory to turn around while I changed into my second uniform. I had forgotten to change last night because of the excitement of having a human with me. Once I was done, I picked Rory up and placed him in the chest pocket of my uniform. I closed it halfway again, so Rory could still breath and poke his head out. 

Days went by, and Rory was slowly warming up to me. The other day he was voluntarily held. 

As weeks went by, my relationship grew stronger with Rory. I taught him a few words of my language, and I can speak broken sentences of Espanõl, his language. 

In a couple of months, Rory and I could have long conversations with each other, in mixed languages, but nevertheless Rory and I were great companions to each other.

2 years later, here we are today. Rory has started to hint his feelings for me, and I think that I have developed feelings for him as well. 

I'd say we adapted more than perfectly.