Chapter One - The End of Childhood

Dawn broke over Henty Racecourse.

Just for a moment, all the buildings glistened with rose coloured light. The rising sun gave substance to the clouds and warmth to the fine rainy mist. The mist was very common for a Westmorland dawn. Too fine to hit the ground but dense enough to keep everything wet. Luckily, Mount Monolith loved a wet track. 

The stallion was restless in the early dawn, high stepping and throwing his head nervously.  Gorgeous with his gleaming black coat and strong muscles.

"'e's keen." Mallon's high voice was disjointed by his mount's skittishness. "'e only wants a light warmup today, sir. We'll keep 'im fresh for the cup."

"Yes." Mr John Rosewood's deep voice was clear and content. "You do that, Mallon. I know you can handle him." He watched in satisfaction as the jockey forced Mount Monolith towards the track. A stable boy swung open the gate and let them through. The horse was difficult to see in the shadows, but Mallon's shirt flashed with the first rays of light to break over the hills.

"He's a good horse, Anna," Rosewood said thoughtfully. "I think he might follow you to London."

Miss Anna Rosewood watched the stallion with a knowledgeable eye. "I've thought that for two years now, sir," she answered lightly. "He's faster than his mother."

At the crack of a whip the jockey let out the reins and Mount Monolith was off like a rocket. Thomas Norris stood with watch in hand, counting the seconds.

Mr Rosewood and his daughter joined him by the fence, their ears fixed on the stallion's approaching hoofbeats. The horse and jockey whipped by and vanished round the track again.

"Forty two seconds." Norris' voice was jubilant. "It's good enough, sir. He's going to give the others a run for their money." His eye was on the time again, and as the horse rode by a second time he gave a loud whistle. The jockey began to pull in the stallion. "Forty seconds exactly. I'd better get cracking, sir. The others will start arriving soon."

"You go on." Rosewood waved the jockey over to him. "A good run, Mallon. Walk him for a bit, then we'll stable him for the race. I've got Princess Anna and Hey De Ho to prepare yet."

"Yes sir." Mallon touched his cap and took the stallion off to cool down. 

 Anna watched with a smile. "He's a good jockey for her, too." She turned laughing eyes to her father. 

He smiled down at her.  "Yes, Anna, I am well aware he was your choice. We'll notice a difference in the stables without you." His smile diminished as they began towards the main stables where another jockey waited with a two-year-old mare, about to race for the first time.

"I shall miss the stables." Anna looked round at the familiar buildings with their cobbled floors and rail fences. The whole establishment was basking in warmth and vigour now the sun sat clearly above the horizon. Rose turned to gold  and the wet mist cleared away. Birds twittered in the trees and a horse whinnied.

"There's Hey De," she said with a chuckle. "He does hate to be tethered in the morning. Is Greene still riding him today?"

John Rosewood looked at her, his brows lowering just a little. "Yes, I think I'll keep that pairing for a while longer. Hey De is a difficult horse to ride."

Anna could see the horse now: a grey stallion with flecks of silver in his coat. He stood to seventeen hands and she'd only seen three jockeys up on him. Greene was the most confident, but to her thinking little Jerry Callaghan was the best rider for him. Still, she said nothing. Her father could read her silence quite well.