Chapter Twenty Two.

"The Outbreak"

[PAST]

The sun that was high in the sky on the semi warm day began to make its way towards the horizon. Long shadows casted as Louis and (Y/n) made their way back towards the school with their buckets of water. The two of then chatting away with any thought comming to mind, their cheeks and stomachs filled with a fuzzy warmth of butterflies.

It wasn't until they reached a distance where the school was now fully in sight had they noticed something wasn't right. They both grew quiet as the slowed to a stop, staring at the building through the bars of the front entrance as they thought as to what was so off. It wasn't until a sharp scream tore through the gloomy setting that snapped them into realization. Their eyes widened in shock and horror as the rushed towards the gates.

Everything was Chaos.

The young were pushed into the corner of the courtyard by the others close in age to the two that had left to gather more water. The young along with a handful of the teens were hysterical while the rest wore a solemn expresson full of grief and pain.

"What.. what's going on? Why are they so freaked out?!"

Louis exclaimed in disbelief. The female rushed towards the gate, roughly setting her buckets down as she unlocked it, Louis following suit.

"Who cares! We need to help them!"

With that exclamation, the two thrusted the metal gate open with a long and firm push, entering the premises before pushing the gate close and locking it to prevent any unknown sources from entering the school grounds. They picked up their buckets and rushed over to the gathering forming off to the side.

"What's going on?"

Louis asked once more, only now directing it to the others rather than to his friend.

Brody, being one of the few outside had her eyes wide as she lunged forward, wrapping an arm around Louis' and (Y/n)'s waist as she hughed them.

"Oh thank god you're okay! Oh god, everything is falling apart... oh god, no. No."

The red head cried out as she trembled. The two were now growing more and more concerned as they put their buckets down on the ground once Brody had pulled away from her suddenly affectionate hug.

"We heard a scream, what's happening?"

(Y/n) asked, brows furrowed up as panic slowly began to course through her veins.
Brody sniffled as she forced the words out in a rambling mess, but clear enough for the two to understand.

"It's Rory... he.. he f-found an old bottle of p-pills.. Kyra... and Oscar.. they-they wanted in on it." She broke off into another crying mess.

"Oh god." The (h/c) female stuttered out as a hand flew to her mouth in surprise. Louis was in just as much shock until he acknowledged something else that didn't seem right.

"Why you all outside?"

Brody was in to much of a panic to answer, hunching over as she tried to gather herself. It wasn't until their friend Sophie rushed over, tear stains trickled down her cheeks as she rested a hand on Brody's back, gently rubbing it to calm the female down.

"They turned and began attacking. We managed to leave the building and close the doors, but.. those that were sick along with some of the others helping out...they're still in there..."

As she said this, Louis took note how little the group outside was and now saw that he couldn't see the familiar hair style of his best friend nor the rest of their small, dysfunctional family.