Chapter Six.

Chapter Six:
"Further than an Outlooker's sight."

[PAST]

Hours had passed, the small group relaxing on the grass by the large stone wall continued small talk as they enjoyed the gentle breeze of the sun that was now close to setting. (Y/n) had moved and was now leaning against one of the smaller trees nearby, Louis laying down next to her as he used his arms and hands as a pillow for his head, and Marlon sat on the other side of Louis with his knees propped up as he leaned against them. Marcy had ran off not to long ago to go help another community member, Rory, with the garden, leaving the three older kids to themselves in their hangout spot.

“So, what really happened?” Louis finally spoke up, his eyes shifting from the mesmerizing colourful sky above to the female next to him. A look of confusion crossed her face as she tilted her head in a questioning manner, not only did it catch her attention but it also caused Marlon to listen in on the conversation. “What do you mean?” She finally asked.

“I mean your story, we saw you throughout most of this morning and you were fine, so what happened?”

(Y/n) released a soft sigh as she realized what he meant, before she could explain, she scanned the area around her to confirm no one else was around them. “You hear about how the adults having a meeting?”

Marlon visibly perked up at that, sitting up straighter as he nodded, “I heard from Matthew, he mentioned something about it briefly before running off. It’s unusual for them to do meetings, that's for sure.”
Marlon earned a hum of agreement from his friends before (Y/n) continued her explanation.

“well… I, and a few other girls, wanted to know what was going on...so we basically spied on them.” She finally told then as she scratched the back of her head nervously, Marlon slightly gaped at her as Louis looked slightly surprised. Both males knew the girls who helped spied and knew somewhat clearly that some of them wouldn't do it unless for a good reason.

“Well, we were right about it being unusual, we heard what they were discussing. They want to send ten of us on a three day hunt, age practically doesn't matter for this one.”

If before hadn't caught there attention, they certainly were captivated with the conversation now as they both stared at (Y/n) with large eyes.

“But..what about the system?” Marlon spoke softly.

The system was something these three have known about for a very long time. They practically grew up with it ever since the apocalypse started. One of the rules within the system that the adults have made a few years back was; like any other formerly legal matter, around the age of sixteen is the only time the kids are allowed to leave the gates. For the time being when it came to people that are at a younger age, much like (Y/n), Louis, and Marlon, they got to tend the animals, the garden, cooking, or weapon/trap making.

Before the female could respond to comfort Marlon’s concern for how the system is currently, she was interrupted by the other male who just so happened to have whistled. The two looked down to have seen what Louis was doing, only to see that he had a large, excited grin. “Don’t you guys get it?! We can finally do something to help out around here! Like, really help out!”

“Well, yes, but-"

“No buts!”
Louis brushed it off while lifting his upper body off the ground as he sat up, he stared out at the rest of the courtyard. “They need us, we need them, we need each other. And holy hell would it be amazing to finally feel free from these prison like walls.”

The female smiled softly as she understood exactly what his words meant. She knew how much she wanted to help out as much as she could at a time of dire need, no matter her age. Many had to grow up too early and quickly in a world like now, so what difference does it make if someone is a couple years away from being sixteen, not even! Although, if they get chosen for the mission, it would be the first time see any of the kids under sixteen get to see further than what lookouts would normally see ever since the outbreak years earlier. Yet, this meant the were also inexperienced, it meant this whole mission could take a whole other turn than what the adults hoped for.

“I want to see past the first line of trees. To see past the same trees we always see year after year. I want to see more, more than what a lookout would see on the stone wall.” (Y/n) finally said in a soft voice filled with determination.

That was the last time anyone had spoken before they all sat in silence as their mind raced with the various emotions and thoughts on the whole situation. It wasn't long when the sun began to set past the endless forest that they snapped out of their daydreams. They helped each other stand, legs feeling numb and tired after sitting for long straight hours as they make their way to the picnic tables where many of the others were gathering for the dinner gathering. The large campfire was lit, food of small portions were passed around, even if the portions were slightly smaller than usual, everyone kept a large smile as each member of the community grinned so merrily. Chatting so free with one another, an occasional few playing cards or dice, it was a part of the day everyone looked forward to.

(Y/n) grinned as she ate slowly while watching the others have fun and enjoy catching up on events that happened throughout the day. Even though her mind kept pulling her to the thought of the mission, she was willing to lose the tug of war as she knew one thing, that she wanted to be one of the ten to go on this mission.

------------

-word count of 1088.

-(c) (Y/N) belongs to you.

-(c) Characters, songs and game belong to rightful owners/creators.

-(c) I do not own anything except for this plot line and story. The game itself and plot line belongs to the amazing original creators, Telltale.

-Published on September 9, 2018.