Chapter Forty-One - Coffee And A Cigarette

Start from the beginning

I get into the shower and turn the water on, I stand under the water and watch the dried blood wash off my body, I look around and see that someone had brought my toiletries from the clubhouse, a small smile spread across my lips when I realised there was also a mixture of Jax's stuff in here. He's been so amazing through all of this, so tentative and caring, doesn't push me to eat or drink, I couldn't have asked for a better man to have by my side.

I haven't seen him in 3 days he's out looking for whoever crashed into me. I dig through the bag and grab out my shampoo and conditioner and Jax's body wash, one of my favourite smells. I wash my hair and brush out all the knots before washing my body and brushing my teeth. I get out of the shower and quickly scan over myself, I trace my fingers over the bruises and cuts on my stomach, a cold shiver travels up my spine as memories of the accident become more clear to me, the sound of metal colliding and crunching together, the sound of tyres screeching, the sound of glass shattering, the overwhelming smell of fuel, the heat of the fire, everything.

I wrap a towel around me and search for something to wear, I look in the overnight bag Jax packed the day I woke up. I find some underwear and comfy short-shorts, I throw them on under my towel and begin to look around for a top, I spot one of Jax's shirts and hoodies tucked in the bag and smile, I grab them out and make my way back to the bathroom. I put some deodorant on then throw on the shirt and hoodie before giving my hair a quick towel dry, I brush my hair again and look at myself in the mirror, eh good enough.

I put all the toiletries back in the bag and hang up the towel before making my way back to the hospital bed. I stop in the middle of the room and look around, maybe I should get out for a little. I slip on some ankle socks and a pair of white converses before I make my way out the door, I look around to make sure no ones going to tackle me before making my great escape. I begin to power walk down the hallway towards one of the elevators when a hand on my shoulder stops me, I slowly turn around and try to smile at my capturer.

"Miss Blackwell I thought we agreed on no cigarettes until you eat" I roll my eyes at him before I reply, "I thought I told you to just call me Harley, and I wasn't I was just going to.... The... the... toilet" I say the last part quietly, god Harley why are you so stupid? I internally scold myself. He laughs at me and I scrunch my face up, "How about a deal?" He says with a smile, I raise my eyebrow at him and cross my arms over my chest "Go on" I say and flick my hand a little.

He laughs again and turns me around to walk in the opposite direction I was going, "How about if you drink a coffee I will let you outside to have a cigarette?" He says as we make our way to the cafeteria, "Can I have my coffee with my cigarette?" I ask and just laughs and nods his head again, "Sure Harley" I smile and nod still following him.

We get our coffees and make our way outside to what looks like a private garden, "What's this place?" I ask as we walk down the path towards an opening with many tables and chairs, "Secret staff garden where we come to smoke" he replies to me. We sit down at a table, I look at my coffee and take a small sip before looking over to him, "Can I have a smoke now?" I ask him, "As long as you continue to drink that coffee" I nod my head, I pull out a smoke and light it, I sigh in content when the nicotine hits my lungs. Mmmmm cancer stick.

I look up to the doctor to see him doing the exact same, my jaw drops at the sight of it, "All week you have told me off for trying to sneak out for a smoke but you smoke too" I say waving my arms around like an idiot, "I eat everyday Harley I'm allowed to smoke" he says with a smirk, I huff to myself and take another sip of my coffee.

Half an hour later, 3 cigarettes and one large coffee down we are pulled out of our chat by the doctor's pager going off, "Looks like I'm needed in NICU, oh would you look at that you drank your whole coffee too! What a good girl" He says in baby talk while patting my head, I swat his hand away and stand up as we make our way back inside the hospital, "Thank you sir" I say before giving him a quick hug, he looks shocked at me at first but then smiles, "May I ask why?" he replies to me, "Because you're the second person to not treat me like I'm some broken and fragile doll" He smiles and pats my shoulder, "You're much stronger than you think you are Harley, remember that as long as you remember how strong you are it doesn't matter how others view you, prove them wrong, prove them how much of a warrior you are" He smiles one more time and squeezes my shoulder before making his way down the hallway towards NICU unit. I turn around on my heels and make my way towards my ward.

I begin to walk down the hallway making sure to keep an eye out for anyone familiar, I'm not ready to see anyone unless its Jax. I make it to my door safely, success! I open my door and search for the light switch when I'm dragged in by my arm, my leg's give out from underneath me but I'm caught by a different pair of arms, "What the fuck?" I mumble to myself, the lights turn on and I close my eyes quickly so it doesn't feel like I'm being blinded by the sun itself, I look up to who has a hold of me and I see Jax, he smiles while I see him and I can't help but smile back at him, I look over to who tried to drag me into the room and see a guilty looking Gunner.

"Should I ask?" I question them, "No" they both reply in unison. I nod my head and stand up straight again, Jax moves behind me and wraps his arms around me, "It's simple really kitten, I'm sick of seeing you in here getting worse and worse. So I am stealing you and bringing you home" he says with a kiss on my cheek, "Have you talked to the doctors?" I ask him "Mmhmm" He replies as he kisses up and down my neck, "Have you actually talked to the doctors?" I ask again "Yes kitten" he replies once again.

"If you two don't stop I'm going to throw up" I hear Gunner say, I turn my attention towards him and smile sweetly at him, "Okay giggly poo" Jax replies before I have the chance, I try to hide my laughter but fail miserably at it, "Ok ok can we just go now?" He asks quietly holding the two bags we have, "Ready kitten?" Jax asks looking down at me, I look up to him and nod my head "Ready".