Goodbye Love (In The Heights x Rent)

Warning: ANGST, ANGST, ANGST! This is my first angst fanfic...

[AU where Usnavi and Vanessa are/were already in a relationship.]

After Abuela Claudia had passed away, Usnavi, Vanessa, Nina, Benny, Pete, Daniela, Carla, and Kevin attended her funeral. It was a very sad moment for all of them. It brought everyone together, but only for a short time because Usnavi and Vanessa's relationship has been getting tense, and Nina and Benny had broken up.

When they were leaving, Vanessa asked Usnavi, "It's true you sold the bodega and got a flight?", and Usnavi said "It's true. I'm leaving now for the D.R. It's true you're with this vandal scum?!" Usnavi asked Vanessa, referring to Pete. Vanessa and Pete had a history together, and that made Usnavi jealous, which contributed to the straining of his and Vanessa's relationship.

"You said you'd never speak to him again", Pete said to Vanessa, to which Vanessa only replied "Not now,". Benny asked Pete "Who said that you had any say in who she says things to at all?!", and Usnavi agreed and said "Yeah!". Nina admonished her former boyfriend, saying "Who said that you should stick your nose in other peoples'-", and Benny interrupted her, asking "Who said I was talking to you?!"

"We used to have this fight each night..." Nina said, raising her voice, and Daniela said "Calm down!", but Nina still continued "He never admit I existed!", and Carla said "Everyone, please!" Vanessa continued Nina's train of thought "He's the same way, it was always run away, hit the road, don't commit, YOU'RE FULL OF S**T!", she said to Usnavi, pushing him. "Vanessa!" Daniela said, shocked.

"He's in denial," Nina said, and Vanessa said the same thing. "Didn't give an inch, when I gave a mile!" Nina said, "I gave a mile!" Vanessa said to Usanvi, to which he demanded "Give a mile to who?!"

Daniela and Carla were getting anxious and said "Come on guys, chill!"

Nina and Vanessa turned to their respective boyfriends and said "I'd be happy to die for a taste of what Abuela had! Someone to live for, unafraid to say 'I love you'!"

Usnavi had it, and got livid. "All your words are nice, 'Nessa, but love's not a three-way street! You'll never share real love until you love yourself! I should know!" he said to her.

Kevin stepped in and admonished the two couples. "You all said you'd be cool today, so please, for that sake... I can't believe she's gone", he said, referring to Abuela, "And I can't believe you're all going" he continued, referring to Usnavi moving, Daniela and Carla's salon closing and relocating, and Nina going back to Stanford to give college another try "I can't believe this family must die. Abuela helped us believe in ourselves, I can't believe you disagree," he finished. Everyone then said "I can't believe this is goodbye..."

Later, Benny was helping Usnavi pack things up before he moved back to the Dominican Republic. He said to Usnavi "I hear, there are great restaurants down there". "Some of the best, how could she?" Usnavi said back. "How could you let her go?!" Benny asked his friend. "You just don't know. How could we lose Abuela?" Usnavi kept wondering.

Benny said "Maybe you'll see why, when you stop escaping your pain. At least now if you try, Abuela's death won't be in vain" "Her death was in vain!" Usnavi snapped.

Benny was shocked and said to Usnavi "Are you insane?! There's so much to care about! There's me, there's Vanessa..." "Vanessa's got her baggage, too!"

"So do you!" Benny said . "Who are you to tell me what I know, what to do?!" Usnavi demanded, and Benny responded "A friend!"

"But who, Benny, are you?! 'Benny's got his work', they say,  'Benny lives for his work and
Benny's in love with his work'! Benny hides in his work!" Usnavi yelled, and Benny asked him "From what?"

"From facing your failure, facing your loneliness, facing the fact you live a lie! Yes, you live a lie, tell you why. You're always preaching not to be numb, when that's how you thrive. You pretend to enjoy what you do, when you really detach from feeling alive!" Usnavi ranted.

"Perhaps it's because I'm the one of us to stay here!" Benny snapped. There was a brief moment of silence, and it was broken by Usnavi saying "Poor baby!"

"Vanessa still loves you! Aree you really jealous? Or afraid that she is weak?" Benny asked Usnavi. "She did look pale..."  Usnavi replied while going for the door. "Vanessa's gotten thin, she is running out of time, and you're running out the door!" Benny admonished.

"No more, oh no, I've gotta go!" Usnavi said, checking his watch. He was going to the airport to get his flight.

"Hey, for someone who's always been let down, who's heading out of town?" Benny asked. "For someone who longs for a community of his own, who's in the dispatch alone? I'll call... I hate the fall" Usnavi said. He opened the door, and found Vanessa to be standing behind it. "You heard?" he asked her.

"Every word," She said, and then continued as he went out the door, "You don't want baggage without lifetime guarantees. You don't want to watch me die. I just came to say goodbye love
goodbye love, came to say goodbye love, goodbye..."

She then looked out the window to see Usnavi getting in a taxi for the airport. "Just came to say goodbye love, goodbye love, goodbye love, goodbye love..." she then held up a doctor's report she received "Hello, disease...."