Alex Galchenyuk- Montreal Canadiens *Requested

"I want to marry you," he mumbles against my lips in between light pecks that I keep pulling away from. I sigh.

"I just can't see myself getting married this young," I say for the hundredth time.

"I can see it," he counters, breaths whispered across my glistening lips. I peck him once more and then untangle myself from our position on the couch. I head to the kitchen, throwing my hair in a bun on the way. I hear his footsteps far behind me. No matter what he says, my mind never goes there.

No one in my family got married- parents, older siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins... No one. Why should I? They all have strong relationships and I don't see how marriage could make it stronger.

"I don't know, Alex," I breathe out and turn around against the fridge, hands braces on the cool metal behind me.

He ruffles his short hair and leans against the opposite wall.

"Why do you want this so bad?" I ask.

He looks at me and doesn't turn away. "I want to be with you the rest of my life. You and me together, through anything, you know?"

"Why can't we be together without being married?" I question.

There's no movement or sound between the two of us for a moment or two. He isn't answering, and I don't know why he's not answering. Finally he just drops his eyes slightly and shrugs.

I sigh and sit at the table, gesturing for him to take a seat as well. Reluctantly he does.

As his hands braces on the table, I put mine over his to rest his clenched muscles. "Tell me, Alex."

He does not need to take a deep breath before he begins. "I need you in my life unconditionally, because I am now so accustomed to feeling like this - happy, excited- because of you. Everything good reminds me of you. The stars, pink flowers, a little girl with a Barbie doll. I don't know, just everything that would make a person smile.

We have everything that soul mates should have, and more. Getting married is the last piece. I truly believe it gives us something special that no one else will be able to understand."

I have tears in my eyes. Something has clicked. Alex needs me and I need him. And if a person needs a person and loves that person at the same time, as much as we share...

Marriage is greater than anything earthly.

I only have to nod once before breaking into absolute hysterical tears. And he understands.

He smiles brokenly and reaches across the table to cup my cheek. He loves me.

"I love you."

for @brendangally :)