Jason Dickinson- Texas Stars (AHL) *Requested

Sweat drips down my neck but I love days like today. It's the Fourth of July in Dallas, Texas-- a patriotic city for a patriotic holiday.

My street is having a block party, but with the amount of people here it seems as though ten other streets have joined in. I'm not complaining, there's nothing better than a huge summer party.

"Y/N!"

It's my friends, Lindsey and Tara, waving and working through the crowd to get to me. We're dressed similarly. I have on jean shorts and an American flag crop top because I'm a typical teenager fresh out of high school. Oh and of course I'm wearing my cowboy boots and hat as well.

Lindsey and Tara greet me with hugs and squeals; we haven't seen each other in quite a few weeks.

"Hey let's go get some food," Tara suggests. I follow them because they seem like they know where they're going through this monstrous crowd of people.

I put a scoop of pasta salad on my plate and finish it quickly. It's already been a long day but it's only three in the afternoon.

Tara and Lindsey make conversation about college in the fall, but I can't seem to pay that much attention. There's a boy that is capturing my interest. He obviously doesn't belong, but he's cute. I've never seen him around before, which is odd because he even seems my age.

"Girls? I'm gonna go say hi to some neighbors. I'll catch up with you later, yeah?" I say, already turning on my heel. I don't even wait for their responses before I'm elbowing, nicely, through children and their parents to get him.

I tap his shoulder and he turns around. "You new here?" I ask. I was never one to shy away from guys.

He glances at me, head to toe, and settles with a smile. "Yeah you could say that," he laughs lightly. Now I definitely know he's not from here-- he's got a weird accent, or I guess doesn't have an accent. To each his own.

"I can tell. Don't you know you're supposed to wear red white and blue?" What's an Independence Day party in Texas without the colors of the good old American flag displayed on one's body?

"I can see that. It's my first day, my friends just dragged me down here," he explains.

"Some friends," I comment and he laughs. "So your first day in Dallas. Want me to show you around?"

"I don't know... my friends..."

I wave my hand in dismissal. "I've got friends too. I'm sure yours wouldn't mind if you had some fun." I take his hand and he accepts easily.

It takes a while to get down the whole street but once we do, the crowd is considerably lesser.

"Hey what's your name?" He asks.

"Oh me? My name is Y/N," I say. "And how about you? You look like a Brad. Is that your name?"

He laughs. "Actually my name is Jason."

"Ooh so I was pretty close!" Jason, Brad-- pretty boy names. They're all the same.

I take Jason all over the city. He tells me he's from Canada. "You don't say! I've never met anyone from another country."

"I'm moving here actually," he says in a matter of fact tone.

"With your family?" He can't be any older than me.

"No actually, just me. I play hockey," he says sheepishly and ruffles his dark brown hair.

Now there's a sport. "I don't think I've met anyone whose played hockey. Isn't it too hot in Dallas to play that?"

"There's buildings, Y/N, that they keep cold enough." He's laughing, so I laugh too. I guess it was kind of stupid.

"You think I can come to one of these games sometime? I don't know much about hockey."

I swear I see blush come across his cheeks. "Yeah, I have to make the team first but I will give you a ticket if you give me your number," he suggests cheekily.

I laugh lightly. "You're cute, Canada." I text myself from his phone, and then hand it back to him.

"Sweet. I've always wanted to date a cowgirl," he says.

I bump into him as we walk. "Hey I'm not some fantasy! And who says this is a date?"

"Sorry, I..." He blushes again, but I calm his qualms by interlocking our fingers. He's incredibly cute.

"C'mon," I say, "The fireworks are about to start."

We get back to the block party but stay near the back. I really don't want to run into Tara and Lindsey again. I want to spend more time just with Jason, this cute hockey player from Canada who doesn't own a pair of cowboy boots.

The sky lights up with crazy colors, among the stars and putting on a full display. The pavement is still hot on the back of my thighs, though the sky is pitch black. Jason has his arm around my shoulders and we're both staring up above us.

When the show ends and everyone gets up to celebrate a great day, I glance at Jason. "Are you gonna kiss me or what?"

He grins before leaning down to kiss my smiling lips.

For andasavebyturco :)