Zach Parise- Minnesota Wild *Requested

"You're six weeks."

You remember just nodding. You nodded as you were told to schedule an appointment within the next two weeks for a checkup.

You nodded as you were handed a prescription for prenatal vitamins. You nodded as a nurse directed you to the exit of the doctor's office.

It didn't really hit you until you were driving home. You had to pull over to stop yourself from crying. You don't know why you started crying.

It was just something that you hadn't expected. You had so many plans, and this wasn't one of them. Especially since you just broke up with your boyfriend.

You quickly got yourself together and drove home. You can handle this. You can handle anything.

***

You woke up feeling sick once again. There hadn't been a sick free day since you could remember. You were only three months pregnant, but you can't remember what it's like to be able to drink and party and have a carefree life.

A strand of hair fell from your hand and into the line of fire as you threw up once more. You groaned and stood over the sink to wash the piece of hair.

This wasn't how you imagined pregnancy. You imagined being happily married. You imagined having someone to hold your hair back when you got sick. You imagined being a happy little family.

You wipe a stray tear from your cheek and step into the shower. You had to meet your sister in an hour.

"Are you sure about not telling Zach?" your younger sister asked you for the millionth time in the past two months.

When you told your parents, they flipped. In your family, you weren't supposed to get pregnant until after you get married.

They had never met Zach before, but wanted you to tell him. They just wanted someone to take responsibility.

But since you didn't, they stopped talking to you after that day. You're sister was the only supportive member of your family.

"I'm sure. He won't want anything to do with me or the baby anyway," you say. You've thought long and hard about this. "Besides, I think I read somewhere that he already has a new girlfriend," you say a little quieter.

The breakup had been mutual, but you still hadn't gotten over him. You figured it was because only days later, you found out you were pregnant with his baby.

Your sister sighed. "It is his baby, though."

"Can you just let me handle my own life. And my own baby?" you say quite exasperated.

You left your sister and drove back home. You were done with people trying to tell you what to do. You just wanted to do things your own way, with your own baby.

***

You stepped onto the subway car after a long day of work. At eight months pregnant, it wasn't ideal to still be going to work everyday. But if you were having this baby, then you needed money.

"Please. Take my seat," one nice man said and stood up so you could sit.

"Thank you so much," you said gratefully. Your feet and back were killing you.

As you sat, the woman across from you kept staring. You uncomfortably looked away. The silence in the car only made you more away of her staring.

Finally she said something. "Weren't you dating that hockey player on the Wild?"

"Oh yeah, Zach Parise," another man said. Most of the people around you were now looking. You gulped and nodded sheepishly.

"Yeah, I did," you said quietly.