forty

It had been a couple months since they had put her mother to rest, and she knew this holiday season was going to be difficult. Their season had just ended a couple months ago, and since they had a little time before they hosted their annual She Believes Cup, the National Team would not be calling everyone into camp until after the New Year, but Jill wanted them all to stay in shape, which is something they did not argue. Casey still went on her morning run, pushing herself to keep cutting down her time, even though she could not get it any better. Whenever Alessio was in town or she was there, he would go for a run with her, but those were when her times were trashed, for he could not keep up. Even though she teased her him about it, it was all in good fun.

"So, what are your plans for Christmas?" Alessio asked her when they got back to his penthouse. He tossed her a water and they sat at the countertop, Casey propping her legs up on his thighs. She chugged some of her water before answering.

"I'm not really sure. I think my dad wants to keep it low key this year. This is our first Christmas without her, and I don't think he wants to make a big deal out of it." She told him, pausing to sip some more water.

"Well why don't you come spend Christmas with my family? My mother has been dying to meet you." He asked her, and she smiled, but it instantly faltered.

"As much as I'd love to, I can't leave my dad alone." She said, sighing.

"Then I guess I'll just have to fly you both back up here Christmas eve. How does that sound?" He countered, and she smiled.

"You'd do that?" She questioned.

"Of course, Case. I know you've gotta head back tomorrow, and I don't know what your dad's schedule is like, but if possible I can fly you back up next Wednesday, we can show your dad around Chicago, we can introduce my mom to you and your father. I've got some plans for us, but we can rearrange those so we don't leave your father alone." He explained, and he watched as her eyes lit up.

"I think I have a cousin that lives just outside of Chicago that I'm sure my dad would want to visit. They used to be really close growing up, I'm sure my dad can entertain himself." She explained, and they both chuckled at the thought. "I'll run it by him when I get home."

"Sounds good. In the meantime, you wanna go grab some lunch and do some shopping? Then I may or may not have tickets courtside for the Bulls or behind the goal at the Blackhawks game, your choice." He told her, and she gasped.

"How did you manage to get tickets for both with the best seats in the house?" She asked, shocked.

"When you're as high up as I am, you know people." He chuckled, standing up and kissing her on the top of the head.

"Hockey is basically soccer on ice, so there's my answer." She responded, standing up as well and throwing her water bottle in the recycling bin. "So where are we going to lunch then?"

"Depends what you're in the mood for, but I know you're not too picky." He responded with a chuckle, and she grinned.

"Long as there's a lot of food on my plate I'm happy, we both know that." She answered.

"How about we go to Monteverde? I know you love their Tortelloni di Zucca, and you get a lot of it." He suggested, and she could taste the balsamella as soon as he mentioned it.

"That sounds amazing. I'll go take a quick shower and change. I'm sure you could use a shower as well." She commented, and he playfully slapped her behind. She chuckled and started running down the hallway, and he followed, eventually grabbing her by the waist and spinning her around and tackling her onto the bed, towering over top of her. They were both laughing now as he brought their faces close together.