seven

[ Wow am I sorry for not updating any sooner. I've been having browser issues which has prevented me from even opening up the web page. But I promise this chapter is pretty good and I hope to be updating a little more regularly now that I have everything figured out. But in other news, guess who is done with high school! I have commencements on Saturday and I will soon be an alumnus. Literally yesterday I was a freshman. Anyhow, enjoy this long overdue chapter! ]

They arrived at the park and Casey instantly fell in love with all the dogs that were there that day. She never really came out to Cypress Point just because it was so far out of the way. She helped Jackson with the blanket they were going to sit on, and he pulled out a picnic basket and smiled at her.

"When you told me you'd never been on a picnic before, I knew we had to go on one." He told her, and she smiled, feeling her cheeks redden again. She did not respond, but he closed his trunk and they walked on the pavement around the park, looking for the perfect spot to set up. Eventually, they found a spot that was by the lake and secluded from the rest of the park through a bramble of trees. She set up the blanket and sat down across from him, the basket in between the two of them.

"So, what's on the menu?" She asked, and he gave a wag of his eyebrows before opening the top and pulling out food. There was fried chicken, potato salad, fruit, chocolate, and cheese. It all made her mouth water.

"I hope you like it." He said with a little sigh, and she could tell he was nervous. She reached out and grabbed his hand.

"It's perfect, Jackson." She responded with a smile, seeing his eyes soften as he relaxed. He looked away from her and prepared her a plate, putting everything on it because he knew that these were foods she all enjoyed. They ate and watched as kayakers went by and children hopped off of the dock into the water.

"Do you remember coming up here and jumping off the dock? We used to race to see who could get to the buoy first." Jackson reminisced, popping a cube of cheese into his mouth and leaning back on his arms, looking at the water in front of them.

"Yeah, you always gave me a head start because you're a swimmer, and you still beat me." She chuckled, looking out at the white buoy that was about thirty or forty yards away from the dock.

"Because you suck at swimming." He responded, and she playfully pushed his shoulder.

"Yeah I know, but still you could have let me win once." She said, and he rolled his eyes.

"I was twelve! You really think I was gonna let you win?" He asked, and she cocked her head towards him.

"If we were to do it now, would you let me win?" She asked in response, and he laughed.

"No, probably not." He chuckled, and she hit him again. This time he faked an injury, holding his arm and scrunching his face up in a hurt manner. "Casey, why would you do that?"

"Your face looks funny." She answered, which was not the answer he was expecting, but it made him laugh and lean in closer to her.

"Your face looks cute." He said, and she looked away, her cheeks reddening. "What do you say we pack up and head and get ice cream." He suggested, and she nodded.

"Okay, sounds good. Where are we going?" Casey asked as she helped him put away the food back into the picnic basket. She carried the basket and he carried the blanket, and he reached out to hold her hand. She looked up to him and smiled, taking it and lacing their fingers together. They walked through the park, people watching as they went. There were couples who were sitting on benches and talking, children playing in the water fountains that were in the ground, people walking their dogs and playing with them in the open field. There were some people skateboarding, others rollerblading, most of them walking.