thirty

[ Ah, I move in in two days! I don't know where any of my classes are! I start classes in five days! Help! ]

Their stay in Washington D.C. was rewarded by a two-one win for the Orlando Pride. Casey, Alex, Ali, and Ashlyn made sure to get pictures together before they left the stadium and got on a plane in the morning. Things had gotten better throughout the few days they were in D.C., being with familiar people outside of the team a comfort. She was starting to get back on her feet, Jackson becoming a thing of the past. She would not forget her time with Jackson, but she was moving on.

They arrived back in Orlando the following morning, and they would have the rest of the day to themselves until tomorrow evening when they would pick training back up again. They were not on the docket for a midweek game, so they were able to take a little break before they got going again. She was going to spend the day catching up on school work. She was so close to finishing her junior year, then she would get her break and focus on this season of soccer and on herself.

May came, and it was finally time for Alex and Casey to get back together with the US Women's National Team for a series of friendlies against Mexico and Canada as a battle of North America, as the American Outlaws had dubbed it. They would be playing two games against Mexico in Chicago and Philadelphia and two games against Canada in Utah and North Carolina. Their first game was in Chicago where the US Soccer Federation Headquarters were located, so they would all meet at the hotel and go from there.

"Ready?" Alex asked as she finished loading up her car. They switched back and forth between carpooling every week, so since this week was her week, Alex would be driving them to the airport.

"Yeah just about. The dogs are all set, right?" Casey asked as she threw the remainder of her things in her backpack. Even for National Team duty she travelled light.

"Wendy next door said she'd look after them. They should be good for the next two weeks." She informed as Casey came out of her bedroom, hugging and kissing her dog on the forehead before they left. Alex had gone next door to make sure their neighbor had a key, and Casey locked the door behind her.

"Do you ever pack anything but a couple t-shirts and shorts?" Alex asked when she came back, and Casey shrugged.

"Nope, what's the point when they give us stuff to wear anyhow?" She responded, and they both laughed as they got in the car.

"You've got a point, but what if we make a trip out on the town? You know we always do." She informed, and Casey chuckled.

"Don't worry, I've got something nicer than what I usually wear." She answered.

"What, your nice jeans and sweater again?" Alex huffed, and Casey laughed.

"As a matter of fact, no, I actually brought something a little nicer." She said, and she knew her teammate gave her a once over.

"Oh really?" She asked sarcastically.

"Yup. I figured it's time to step out of my comfort zone and not dress like a homeless person." She said, getting them both to laugh.

"Did you always dress in t-shirts, soccer shorts, and your Birks?" Alex questioned.

"No, in high school I was considered in the popular crowd so I dressed the part, and it was before Jackson and I were dating. Now that I'm getting over it, I figure I should start caring a little more about how I look." Casey explained to her.

"You? One of the popular kids? I knew you were well liked among the school but not popular." She responded, actually sounding shocked.

"One of the popular jocks, I guess. I played just about everything growing up, but my varsity sports were volleyball, basketball, and soccer, soccer being my favorite and the one I was most passionate about. Being in three of the most popular sports at school, I fell into the crowd." She continued.