eight

[ Wow this chapter was a long time coming. Sorry for the wait! I wanted to get the chapter up before I went on vacation, but obviously that didn't happen, so here it is! I will promise the next chapter will be out either tomorrow or Friday! Enjoy! ]

They both sat on the beach around the huge bonfire pit, wrapped in a blanket sitting on the sand that was still hot from the sun beaming down the entire day. There was smore supplies stowed away in the pantry, as well as the beer in the fridge, and they took it all out with them by the bonfire. Casey leaned into him, listening to his heartbeat race every time she traced circles around his knee. She had been in love with Jackson since she first laid eyes on him years ago, and she could not believe she was sitting on a beach with him watching the flames dance in front of them. Music played from a speaker somewhere beside them, country music swaying through the air, Jackson moving back and forth with the beat.

"This is nice." He hummed in her ear, wrapping his arms around her. She felt warm in his arms, calm at his touch. She did not respond, but he knew how she felt. He was not sure how to process his feelings, though. He loved her as a friend, his best friend, of course, and he always thought she was a wonderful person, but he never would have thought she would be the one he would get into a relationship with. He never felt the butterflies he had right then when he was around her, and he never wanted that feeling to go away. Sure, he had suggested taking her out on a date, but now he knew that his decision to ask was the right one.

He just was not sure where things would go from right here.

They were going to move on to two separate lives in the coming months. He was now getting a bigger offer from Georgia State, and that was where he originally wanted to go. Sure, they had most of the summer, but he knew she was most likely going to get called into camp and head to the U-20s World Cup in the coming months, but he also knew she was hoping to get called up to the senior team in the coming month. It was only early May, so there were a few more friendlies before the roster is released, but she was hopeful for the Olympics, and she had expressed that to him numerous times.

It was nearing one in the morning, and the both of them were still fully awake and having enjoyable conversation with one another. They ended up drinking a couple beers each, so they were going to stay the night, but that had been the original plan. Jackson was a partier, so he was only buzzed by this time, but he knew she did not drink often, so she was quite tipsy by the time they decided to let the fire burn out and head inside. He helped her up the steps but she was fine otherwise, but she still latched on to him for the support. He lead her to one of the ground floor bedrooms and let her get settled.

"Hey Jackson?" She called out softly as he went to turn off the lamp before leaving the room.

"What's up?" He responded, standing in the doorway.

"Thank you for such a wonderful first date. I had a ton of fun." She cooed with a smile on her face. He gave a soft sigh and smiled.

"Of course. I'll see you in the morning."

--

It was finally their last week of high school, and every senior that walked through the halls of Jefferson High School knew that their time was coming to an end. Most were excited, some had cried daily, but high school would be missed to everyone. That also meant it was their last week of league games for high school, and Casey could not be more excited to be able to leave her last mark on the school.

"Happy game day!" Riley shouted in her ear once she got to fourth hour, their last class of the day before they left for their game. It was away, but it was an hour drive and their junior varsity team played at three-thirty. It was one of their earlier games, considering their school does not let out until quarter to three.