thirty-six

When they arrived at the field, the rest of the team was waiting so they could all walk in together, and also as Alex had promised, everyone was dressed up just as nice as they were. The fans and media were going to have a field day, but it was a special day - the youngest person to ever play in the league was finally a legal adult. They went down the aisle way toward the doors to the locker room, and when they entered the locker room, there were balloons all over the floor and the coaching staff waiting to surprise her. She jumped back when they shouted at her, and she just started laughing as her teammates entered the room around her. She looked behind her to see Alex had been recording, and she furrowed her brows.

"As you all know, we have a very special birthday in the house today. Casey Radcliffe has been with us since she was seventeen, eighteen years old. Now, she is finally a legal adult and doesn't need her parents to sign her contract to play with us!" Marc said aloud over the commotion, and they all clapped their hands in applause.

"Let's get this party started!" Carson yelled, and Alex took Casey's phone and hooked it up to the speaker system and played their playlist, and they all threw off their heels and danced around the locker room in their bare feet, kicking and throwing balloons at each other as they sang along to the music. One of the coaches rolled a small cake in from outside the locker room, and as soon as a candle was lit, they started singing - well, more shouting and screaming - happy birthday to her. She blew out the candle and Alex shoved her face into the frosting, wiping her face with the desert. Casey let out a small scream and threw a bit of the cake back at her, and they were both laughing.

"Alright ladies, we have a game to get ready for!" Alanna yelled over them, and Casey excused herself to wipe the cake off her face. Luckily she had brought her foundation with her to touch it back up. She returned to the locker room and changed into her training gear to join the rest of her team out on the field. She went and warmed up with her teammates, knowing all eyes were on them to take down the Chicago Red Stars. They were second in the league, and if they won, the Pride would edge them and take first.

The game started an hour later, and the crowd was deafening. The Wall never failed to amaze her, even after three years of playing in front of them. The whistle blew and they were off, the Pride having possession to begin the half. Morgan sent it back toward Emslie, and they worked out from the back, for Emslie had passed it back to Edmonds, who was instantly pressured by Kerr. She passed it back to Radcliffe, and Kerr backed off, knowing full well what she would do if she had pressured her. Radcliffe passed it wide for Pickett.

Fifteen minutes had gone by before they got a real chance on net, but Morgan's shot was saved by Naeher and a rebound was quickly in place, Ertz getting a hold of the ball and sending Nagasato through. She made a cut around Kennedy and got a cross in for Kerr, but Radcliffe was already tracking the ball. Her eyes were on the ball as she went up to cut off the cross, getting the ball in her hands before getting ran into by Kerr, who took her down with her. Radcliffe landed hard on her back but instantly turned herself over to shield the ball. The wind was knocked out of her and she had flashbacks from when she punctured her lung, but she knew this was not the same. She got to her feet, but Kerr was still slow to get up.

"Nice save, Case." Kennedy said, patting her back. Casey nodded, chuckling. The game continued on once Kerr was alright, but both teams went into the locker room without a goal for their side. Marc praised them for their persistence but wanted a little more out of them, which was something they all agreed on. Ten minutes later they were back on the field hungry for a goal. The whistle blew and the Red Stars had possession to start the half, having the same strategy that the Pride began with. The Pride, however, now had a different game plan. They needed to press higher in order to break down their defense and get some more shots on goal.