thirty-eight

[ WARNING: This chapter is very emotionally enduring. I had a lot of trouble writing this chapter myself just because I have been through it, and it is such a difficult process to lose a parent, especially when you feel you cannot do anything to help. With that being said, don't say I didn't warn you. Happy reading, I guess? :) ]

Casey had not been able to grasp anything going on around her. She had gotten in contact with her coach to tell him what was going on, and he had told her to take as much time as she needed. Alessio had not left her side as she and her father sat in her mother's room, except to take her dog to her parent's house so he was not stuck in her car. Many staff members had come by to drop off flowers and just be with her for a few moments. She had been in and out of consciousness since she had gotten back from surgery.

By now, she had finally found out what happened. They had been driving home from their all night shift that morning, her mother had been driving. They were going through an intersection when a driver blew the red light and t-boned the driver's side of the car, which Dr. Henry had said that there was severe trauma to her intestinal lining, pancreas, liver, as well as a fractured skull that they were monitoring. Casey and her father both knew that it did not look good, but they still remained hopeful.

"Hey pops, why don't we go get something to eat? We've been here since the afternoon, it's almost midnight. I haven't eaten yet, and I know you haven't eaten all day." Casey said, and as much as it hurt him to leave, he nodded, knowing that his wife would be in good hands.

"Can we bring it back up here?" He asked, and she nodded.

"Of course, we just have to get some food in you. If you'd rather, I can run across the street." She suggested, and he nodded. She kissed his cheek and squeezed her mother's hand before leaving the room to go head downstairs and across the street to the twenty-four hour diner. A few minutes went by and Alessio watched as her father stood up and stretched his arms upward.

"I've got to stretch out my legs. I'll be back in a few." Patrick said, patting his shoulder as he stood from his chair. Once he left, Alessio took his seat and reached out to her hand, grasping it lightly.

"I don't know if you can hear me, Mrs. Radcliffe, but my name is Alessio Miller. I'm twenty-five years old from Chicago, Illinois, I am a humble millionaire, and I am dating your daughter, Casey. I just wanted to tell you that she is the light in my life that I didn't know I needed. I, uh, lost my girlfriend to a car accident a few years ago to a drunk driver, and after that I didn't know how to keep going. I kind of just walked through everyday hoping that it would get better, but in reality, deep down I was hoping everyday would be my last.

"When I first met your daughter, I was on a run. We ran into one another, and she blew my breath away. I think she actually made my heart skip a beat. What she doesn't know is that during that run, I was contemplating on taking a plunge into Lake Michigan and never come back up, and she actually saved my life. Meeting her changed my outlook on everything in almost an instant, and I couldn't believe it. I am a huge soccer fan, but I am a bigger fan of your daughter, and I couldn't believe out of all the people I happen to literally run into, it was her. I took the chance and invited her and her teammates to come to my bar during their stay in Chicago, and when she came, I knew right then and there I was gonna be in this for the long haul. I only asked her to be my girlfriend recently, but I know one day that I'm gonna marry your daughter, no matter how long I have to wait. I am here for you, your wonderful husband, and your amazing daughter. I just wanted you to know that." Alessio was on the verge of tears by the time he got everything off his chest. He and Casey had talked to one another about their hardships, but not once had he brought up that he had been on the way to take his own life when they had run into one another. She was now his world, even though they have only known each other since May.