six

[ This one's a little short just because I want to dedicate most of the next chapter for what's coming next! Thank you all for your patience - three more days of high school! ]

The school year was coming to an end so quickly. Between work, school, and soccer, Casey was never home. She always had the weekends off, though, but sometimes she was doing extra training to get herself ready for the seasons to come with Florida State University. She had also been called up for the next youth national team tournament, she could not remember which one, for she had played in all of them, being associated with the youth teams since she turned thirteen. She had never received a call from Jill Ellis, though, and although she knew it would be rude to complain about it, she still wondered why she had never been called up to the senior team. She understood it was a world cup year, so maybe next year for the Olympics.

She was hopeful.

She arrived at work that evening in a rush, for her practice has run late and she did not have time to head home and shower and went straight to get to Water Works Park where the food truck was located. She got a look from the person before her because she was late, but she got to work, instantly taking over. It was busy, for it was closing in on the end of the school year and everyone was venturing to the park to get out of the house. There was a new kind of edge to the end of the school year - she was done in a week. She only had three games left, and their last home game on Monday was their senior night. Their very last game was away against their rivals once again, which was going to be a fun way to go out.

She was on her feet until nine in the evening when everyone had gone home for the evening. She put her tips in her wallet as she closed up, making an extra forty-five dollars to her paycheck. She was pretty and smart, so she typically got tipped well. Sometimes she even got a Snapchat username and a phone number or two, ones that she would never call or text. She always just laughed and tore up the pieces of paper so creeps would not text the guys who hit on her.

She closed the side hatch and locked up. Ryan usually came by in an hour or two to take it back to headquarters, so she did not have to worry about getting back to her car. She double checked everything was locked before leaving the keys in the secret cubby that was just under the mirror of the driver side door. It was a hidden compartment that was only noticeable if you knew it was there. She got her keys in hand, swinging the lanyard around as she walked to her car. She was weary of her surroundings, the only light she had was a single street light that lit up the opposite corner of the parking lot where the entrance was.

She heard footsteps behind her, the snap of a branch giving them away. She had her keys in hand in a defensive position and turned around as the stranger was about to reach for her, and she grabbed them by the shoulders and put her knee into their gut. A grunt came from the guy, and Casey both laughed and gasped when she realized who it was.

"Cas, do you ever lay off a guy?" Jackson asked her as he laid on the concrete, clutching his stomach.

"You shouldn't sneak up on a girl walking alone in the dark across the parking lot." She countered, extending her hand out to help him up. "What are you doing here anyhow?"

"I was on a run, thought I'd come by to see if you were still here." He answered, and that was when she realized he was in a pair of running shorts and shirtless, sweat glistening on his arms, chest, and face. Her eyes found his again, and hopefully he did not realize she had been staring. Luckily, it seemed as if he had not noticed.

"I'm really sorry Jackson, but I didn't know who you were! You could be coming to kidnap me for all I know." She responded, and he just nodded.

"Yeah, I guess I came on a little strong." He agreed with a laugh, rubbing the back of his head in an awkward manner.