twenty six

Another few days had passed and the both of them had packed everything back up to head home for Thanksgiving. Jackson still felt awful about pushing her into the lake, but they decided this week was something they would keep to themselves as an inside joke. Casey made sure to wear something nice for their trip back since they were still stopping in Brighton, Michigan to visit Jackson's mother. She was not going to lie, she was nervous, but she knew that if this was what Jackson wanted, she should go along with it. This would probably be the only time they would ever meet except if this relationship were to extend its run into marriage.

Four hours later they were sitting in the living room of Jackson's childhood home throughout his toddler years and elementary school years. She got to see even more photo books of his baby photos, which was equally adorable as it was hilarious. He was a cute baby.

"So how did you two meet?" Monica Rhodes asked as she brought mugs of coffee out from the kitchen, setting the tray down on the coffee table. Casey grabbed one and got the warmth on her hands, and it was comforting. After thirty minutes of being in the home, Monica seemed like a very nice person that Casey did not have a problem getting to know.

"We met on a soccer field in sixth grade when I told her she couldn't play goal keep because girls weren't supposed to get dirty." Jackson chuckled, taking a sip of the coffee in front of him.

"Then I accidentally gave him a black eye defending the net. We've been inseparable ever since." Casey finished with a laugh, Jackson looking at her with loving eyes.

"Sounds like it was meant to be. By the way he talks about you, you sound like one of his guy friends like Daniel and Trevor." She sighed with a chuckle.

"Yeah, well this guy has some perks." He answered with a wink toward Casey, and she had to take a sip of her coffee to hide her cheeks.

"How's football been, sweetie?" Monica asked, and her son sighed.

"It's been a blast, really. I think I have a good shot at starting full time this season." He answered with a smile, and Casey looked at him with her jaw dropped.

"You didn't tell me that." She said, shocked.

"I wanted to be sure, and I kinda wanted to surprise you and my dad." He responded, and she hugged him.

"I'm so happy for you, you're going to do great. Let me know what your schedule is, maybe I'll fly down for a game." His mother said, and Casey saw a grin form on her boyfriend's face.

"I'd like that a lot." He said softly, and they all fell into comfortable conversation with one another. Casey loved learning more about where her boyfriend came from, and although he had the looks of his father, Jackson was a lot like his mother personality wise - funny yet charming. Casey took everything in, wanting to stay in this little bubble just a little longer, but she knew that they were going to be leaving soon. They still had another twenty hours of driving, and they would just be making Thanksgiving. Since both his and her families were just the two of them and their parents, they had decided last year they were going to start having Thanksgiving dinner all together, which was something they could not be late for.

Another hour went by before they said their goodbyes to Monica, which was heartbreaking. Although they talked all the time on the phone and video chat, this was the first time they were seeing each other in person since Christmas last year when she came down to spend it with him and his dad. This year their schedules did not line up, so this was it. Casey watched as the loving mother Monica was hugged her son tight, and he hugged her just as tight back. She whispered something in his ear and he laughed, kissing her on the cheek and promising something that Casey could not make out from in front of the car. He gave a final wave before joining her at the car, both of them getting in and comfortable. Jackson was already fueled up and ready to drive.