Chapter 14 : Persuasion in Vain

Start from the beginning

I turned around to change my clothes. I picked out black skinny jeans and a loose red shirt-top. I tied my hair into the usual ponytail and dabbed some moisturizer on my face.

I was checking the stuff in my bag when Sam called out,"Um, Ali?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you by any chance have something I can wear?" she asked popping her head out of the bathroom door.

"Yeah su- wait a minute! Why should I help you?" I asked with a mischievous glint in my eye.

"Uh, because I'm your really awesome new best friend?"

"Well, as I remember, my 'really awesome new best friend' just made a joke out of me. So why should I help her?"

"Wait, so you're saying that you really wanted me to chase you till we went out of breath and got late for school?"

Well, she had a point.

"And plus, you dumped ice cold water on me, so I guess we're even."

And there was another point.

"Okay, fine. Wait a second, I'll give you the clothes."

She grinned in victory, while I grudgingly went to my cupboard to look for some clothes. I took out my blue jeans and chose a purple top that said 'I'm too cool, even for me' and held it out for Sam.

After getting ready, we both headed downstairs since mom was going to drop us off.

We reached school in good time. The walls of the hallways were dressed in big blue and white posters announcing the auditions for the different categories of the Talent Hunt.

The auditions were going to be held throughout the week. There were usually four to five rounds in each category, depending upon the competition among the students. The first round was held after the auditions and the short-listed students went further into the rounds.

Usually the auditions were judged by professional artists that came from other states, to make sure that the teachers didn't favor any child and so that they could identify if the child used any unauthorized means of performing their act like, for the dance category, the students were prohibited to copy an act from anywhere. They were supposed to be original and make their own steps and moves. In singing, the judges checked if there was any kind of auto-tuning instruments used in singing etc.

After the auditions, the short-listed students went for the further rounds. The elimination of the students in those rounds depended upon the voting of the students, the school faculty and the guests that were sometimes invited to view the competition.

Basically, the whole week was spent in these activities so there were very less classes to attend.

"Wow. This Talent Hunt seems like a big thing," Sam said, admiring the decorations that covered the whole school.

"Yup. It is the biggest event for everyone, especially seniors since this event is capable of changing your future, for the good," I replied.

"Now even I'm thinking of participating."

"Really? That's awesome! But what category are you going to go for?" I asked, excited to see Sam's hidden talent.

"Um, I really want to be a well-known DJ. I mean I love mixing songs and different tracks. It is my favorite passtime and....hey wanna listen to one of my tracks?" she asked.

I nodded, with a smile.

She took out her phone and attatched the earphones to it and then handed me the ear plugs. As I put them in my ear, she hit play and it started.