Chapter 6 - Smugglers

Start from the beginning

Stiles turned to me and grinned again, enjoying the plan FAR too much.

“So we just roll him in and chuck the mat back over top of him?” Kira asked.

“Will he fit?” Malia asked after.

“And won’t the person who has to sit in the back have to sit on him?” Lydia suggested.

“Well we’re not going to put him in now, just to get him across the boarder, I just wanted to see how big the space would be.” I said back.

“Whoever is in the back will have to get out and walk through the security, we don’t want to draw attention to the back.” Scott added before I could.

“Well who walks across?” Kira asked.

Just as she did we all looked at Stiles as an answer. “What? Why me?”

“Because you haven’t been in the back yet.” Malia said with a smirk.

“Who will drive the jeep?” He asked defensively. Everyone then looked at me as I smirked at Stiles. “But…”

“I promise I’ll go easy on the speed and you can take over as soon as we’re through.” I responded and we all piled into the Jeep before he could say anything.

***

The plan worked. It actually worked. We rolled mini Derek into the spare tyre hole (that big Derek would never find out about… ever) and rolled the mat back out over top of him. The smile on Stiles’ face when we put Derek into the trunk was almost sadist and his smiled dropped when we had to pull Derek out.

When we finally made it back to Beacon Hills Kira and Malia went home while the rest of us took Derek to Deaton.

We made it too the clinic and quickly laid Derek out on the table for Deaton to inspect. As he was lying there silently, still unconscious hours later, I couldn’t help noticing how innocent and helpless he looked. The Derek in front of us was Derek before all hell broke loose. We didn’t know if he remembered everything that had happened during the last 6 or 7 years, but there was something about him that looked so untouched by evil and some part of me just wanted him to wake up and start fresh somewhere else.

“Wow.” Was all Deaton said.

“Wow? Wow, as in I’ve seen this before and know exactly what to do kind of wow?” Stiles asked. “That’s the kind of wow we’re hoping for.”

“You might be overestimating my abilities.” Deaton responded that immediately made me reach out for Derek’s hand.

I flinched a little at the touch, “He’s really cold.” I muttered.

Deaton began his examination, feeling how cold he was, seeing his pupil responses. “Do you think this is permanent?” Scott asked.

“I don’t think even an medical diagnosis is adequate.” Deaton really wasn’t being all that helpful tonight. “This is well beyond my medical experience.”

“Aren’t you meant to be our all knowing source?” I snapped, probably a little too harshly. “There can’t be many things that can do this to someone! How can you not know!” Scott’s hand lightly touched my shoulder and I calmed down. “Sorry.” I said as my heart rate slowed down again. Deaton nodded slightly.

“What do we do with him them?” Stiles asked.

“There’s not much we can do until he wakes up. Might be best to leave him with me.”

“I’m not leaving him.” I said right away a little defensively.

“He’s safe here.” Deaton reassured me.

“You mean from Kate.” Stiles added. Scott had rang Deaton from the car and informed him of everything that we had found out.

“If she is alive and what you say she is then she won’t be able to get past that front gate.” He responded, referring to his hidden Mountain Ash in the walls.

“Why would she want to do this to him?” Lydia asked.

“Knowing Kate it will only be for a reason that will be good for her.”

“And bad for everyone else.” Stiles added.

“You guys should probably go home.” Deaton said once he saw how tired and exhausted we all were. “He doesn’t appear to be in any danger. So maybe the rest of you should get some sleep. It’s a school night. You all need to start taking care of your own lives again.”

“Someone should stay with him.” Scott said.

I felt Derek’s hand tighten around mine, but before I could volunteer Lydia spoke up. “I’ll stay. My grades are fine. Despite missing a few classes.”

“Aah, so not okay with this.” Stiles said.

“Stiles… go.”

“Nooo.”

“Text us if anything happens.” Scott said, ignoring Stiles.

“Nope, still not okay with it. Not going anywhere.” Stiles was saying as Scott grabbed him by the arm and begun pulling. “Alright, just ‘cuz you’re stronger.” Stiles said to him as he was dragged out the door.

I didn’t budge. “Anna… go. You look exhausted.” Lydia said.

“So do you.”

“I can miss the first couple of lessons.”

“So can I, I’m not failing and I don’t feel that bad.” Total lie. My eyelids felt like bricks and my eyes were stinging.

Stiles’ head suddenly popped around the corner. “Coming?” He asked. All I managed was a shake of my head. “But…”

“It’s okay.” Deaton said. “I don’t think she’s going anywhere.” Stiles nodded and headed back out to the Jeep and Scott. Scott I think already knew I wasn’t moving even before he said that someone should stay, but in my state I’d probably fall asleep in one of the chairs and he knew that. Hence Lydia.

It was silent for a while and as I was standing there I could feel my eyelids close slowly and I had to keep blinking.

“Sit down, he’s not going anywhere.” Lydia said. My eyes flicked from her to where Derek’s hand was still curling around my own and then back up. She rolled her eyes and then walked over to one of the chairs up against the wall and moved it under me so I could sit without disturbing him.

That was the last thing I remember before falling asleep right where I sat.