Chapter XI (edited)

Start from the beginning

“Yes… Is that not correct?”

“I know not, in truth.” I admit, “Yet I have always, well… I have always believed Garaeli to be genderless. Neither male, nor female.”

She shrugs, seemingly calmer.

“I feel that he – it – is male. I simply sense it.”

“You sense it?”

“In my culture who you are is defined my how the Wisdom senses you. That defines your gender and personality. My grandfather was the Wisdom for our tribe. He taught me some of his skills. And your… son has a very powerful radiation. I can tell a lot from his aura. Not just his gender. He is strong, determined. He will grow up to be very similar to you. Brave.”

“You think me brave?” I release her arm, and she settles herself upon the floor beside me, massaging the bruised limb.

“Of course. What have done is truly inspiring. You didn’t give up, not even when everything seemed hopeless. You carried on fighting.” She smiles nervously. “I can tell more of what I can sense if you me your hand.”

I do as she bid, and she closes her eyes rapt in deep thought for a few moments. Finally she speaks,

“You live for causes. Any cause. Love. Passion. Determination or hatred. Your impulsive – you’ll do anything on a whim. You don’t think things, through, don’t think about the consequences. You’re selfish, but very loyal. You’re a fighter. You fight for things, not negotiate. You’re very judgmental, very opinionated. You care about what people think of you, but you never reveal that. But you’re clever. And very observational. You see things that others don’t. You’re always animated, always alive. You’re very passionate. You don’t like to give up. You think it shows weakness. You’re not easily swayed, you’ll hold your ground to the very last stand. You wouldn’t think twice about lying if you thought it was the right thing to do. Honesty doesn’t hold much moral high ground with you. You hate to admit that you’re wrong. I cannot tell whether or not you’re good at coping. It’s very complicated. You’ll cope and cope and cope. But the tiniest thing can break you. You - ” She stopped in mid-flow, alarmed by the tears in my eyes. “I’m sorry if I have caused offence. I only meant to…”

I shake my head vigorously, fighting with the tears. I feel as though half of my soul, the blackened, filthy part, had been stripped bare for all to see, exposed in all its horror to the world. And however painful, the experience is remarkably invigorating.

“Thank you.” I manage to smile gratefully at her. “Now, you seem to know all there is to know about me. But I know little of you, and I am eager to discover more. Care to divulge?”

“I… I’m not sure where to begin.”

“Then I will question you. It shall be an investigation. First I would like to know this: are you afraid of me? Only you seemed to be terrified last night and today when I first saw you, and I was concerned that I was the source of your terror.”

“I am sorry, to have caused you such a worry. It is not you, nor was I truly frightened. You intrigued me. Yet I felt that you may object to my interest.” She glances to Garaeli – my son – ensconced in the folds of the borrowed gown I wear. “I knew that I must see him, yet I felt certain that you would be protective of him. He’s beautiful, the most precious creature to grace this earth. The mixed blood within him will make him powerful, yet a force of good strives within him.” She stops once more at the expression on my face. “What?”

“Nothing. Just the way you speak. With such certainty. Almost as though…” I sigh, wondering how best to phrase my thoughts. “There is a belief here, one shrouded in myth and legend, that tells of seers, of fortune-tellers. People who have the ability to read the future. I always doubted such claims before now, yet you. It is not quite the reading of the future, but it something similar. Something akin to such a nature. You seem to be able to read people, not just through the Wisdom you mentioned. Through your own strength and integrity.” I bow my head, to nuzzle Garaeli’s wispy head. “How old are you?”

“Thirteen.” Just two years  younger than me. I wrap my fingers tightly around her delicate hand. I feel duty bound to protect her, in a similar way to how feel in relation to Garaeli. A intrinsic desire to help and defend her.

“Mia…?”

She looks up at me expectantly.

“I don’t know where my journey will take me next.” I begin, unsure as to her reaction.  “Probably you are far better off here. I won’t blame you if to remain is what you choose, but should you ever wish it I would delighted if you were to consent to continue with me. Don’t answer me now,” I hasten to say, “I just want you to know that it is an option.” I look slowly up at her. Her face is alive with light and happiness. But then I realise. For all her learned ways and so-named “Wisdom”, Mia is the same as I was at thirteen; naïve and innocent, desperate for the thrill of adventure and peril. I may well be leading her to her doom by indulging this desire. But the though just makes me all the more determined to take her with me, wherever my journey may leads next.