Decimation of Hope Part 40

2 months later.......

Lex was looking through dresses in Neiman Marcus. She needed something elegant. She was attending a charity event. She looked at several gowns. She chose a midnight blue gown. It was long and form fitting. There was ample cleavage, the back was cut low and the straps crisscrossed. It shimmered a soft glittering blue that almost looked black. She selected black pumps, a small black clutch and a black velvet shawl. She was done.....tired of trying on dresses.

Reykjavik......

Scar landed his ship in the field. He couldn't exit fast enough. He ran to her cabin. He stopped in his tracks, there were no tracks. He looked around, there were none in sight. His heart sank. He changed the vision in his mask. He didn't see any heat signatures. He walked up the stairs and peered in. Everything was covered, her furniture, her table and chairs. She was not here. He began to panic. He checked inside again, nothing. No sign of her. No heat signature whatsoever. He sighed. His nerves were raw. He moved down the stairs and checked his gauntlet. He walked back to his ship.

The charity event was in a few hours. Lex had her makeup did at Benefit Cosmetics. She went with a soft cat eye with a golden bronze eyeshadow, her foundation was light, soft plum blush, minimal highlighter and a nude lip. She kept going back and forth between red lips or nude. Nude was easier to maintain! She had her hair swept up into a slight bun and left the back down. She debated on should she wear her necklace or not. It didn't clash but she was so angry looking at it in the mirror. It was normally tucked into her shirt. She stared looking then she took it off. Her anger getting the best of her.

She ate a light meal and headed to the elevator. She'd decided to take a room at the Peninsula Hotel to keep from driving all the way to Mokena so late at night. Reaching the elevator she was greeted by Vincent. He was on the charity's board. He was tall and handsome with sandy brown hair and bright blue eyes. "Good evening Lex, you look lovely." He told her. He stared at her. She was gorgeous. "Thank you." She could barely crack a smile. She was starting to hate all men. Human, alien.....it didn't matter! Vincent motioned for her to enter the elevator first. He got a great look at the back of her gown. Her back was bare except for the crisscross straps. She was beautiful and had an incredible body. He stared hard.

"I'm glad you decided to come out tonight." He told her. "Well anything for the children's hospital." She said. "I've intended to ring you about the climbing guides you mentioned." He told her. "Yes. I have the information in my room." She answered before thinking. She could barely keep the disdain from her voice. "I'll have to grab that from you." He said happily. "You'll have to save me a dance." He suggested. Before she could burn holes through him, the elevator dinged and more people huddled in. He moved to stand near her, he stared at her skin. Her breasts were exquisite. She was sublime. She could have crawled in a hole and died. "I hope you enjoy this evening. Last year was a really good time. We raised over 3 million." He told her. "That's truly remarkable." Lex told him dejectedly.

The elevator opened and everyone poured out. "Would you like to take a look around before we start the bidding and festivities?" He asked touching her arm. She pulled away from him. "I actually have to make a few calls." She told him backing up further. "OK, no problem. I'll find you." He told her. She nodded once and walked away. She reached for her necklace but it wasn't there. She went to the ladies room and stood staring at herself. She didn't recognize herself.

This evening should be carefree. Yet, she felt so alone and sad. Vincent was handsome, smart and sweet. He'd only been courteous to her. Yet, she couldn't find it within herself to move forward. She looked at herself one last time and exited the ladies room. She headed for the banquet hall. It was packed, the lights were dim and there was a live band playing music. She tried to move through the crowd and find a table. Vincent spotted her and reached out to grab her hand. Lex pulled away. "I'm sorry, just wanted to get your attention. Would you like a drink?" He asked. "No..........I don't drink. Thank you. Just looking for a seat." Lex stated plainly. "Ok, there is room at my table." He motioned across the room. "Thanks but I'm not up for that kind of interaction." She told him. He smiled and laughed lightly. "Ok. I can definitely understand that. Well at least let me introduce you to a few people on the board." He gave her his arm and he escorted her through the room. She was a bit annoyed but she didn't want to be rude and she kept telling herself that she needed to start moving forward. Vincent introduced her to a number of people. They stood engaging in idle chat. He held her hand to his arm the entire time. She was disconnecting, mentally she was a thousand miles away. She didn't have much to contribute. Lex kept looking at his hand. Normal.....human......but not what she wanted.

The mc came to the microphone. Vincent excused himself and Lex found herself a seat. The auction began. She watched but didn't bid. She wrote a check to the charity and remained seated. The evening was underway and she'd hardly moved or touched her food. She wanted sweet fruit.....

Vincent had been to her table a handful of times making small talk and asking her to dance. She'd refused every time. There were many couples dancing, people were up laughing and talking. Having a great time. She felt herself falling into sadness. She looked on.....Vincent came over and sat in an empty chair. "Enjoying the evening?" He asked her. "Yes, it's all very lovely." She stated. "Thank you. I'm glad. We try harder every year to give the best experience.......you look beautiful by the way." He told her. "Thank you." Lex responded dryly, trying not to sound too miffed. Just then someone came to whisper something to Vincent, he had to excuse himself.

Lex sat for a while longer. She wondered if she would ever get past this. Would she heal.....she prayed for a sign.

She was finally starting to understand why the Yautja would take their own lives if their mates died. She felt that would be the only way to set her free of her pain. She couldn't think like that. She just needed to pray more, fast and keep busy.

She was officially done with this evening. She stood to leave and headed for the elevator. "Lex, wait up. Are you leaving?" Vincent asked. "Yes, I have an early morning. Thank you for the invitation. It was a lovely evening." She told him. "Ok......yes, you're welcome. Would you like to sit and have a quick cup of tea...coffee....?" He asked almost sounding desperate. "No, thank you. I really need to rest." Lex told him. "Would it be ok if I grabbed the list of guides and destinations from you?" He asked. "Yes, that's fine." She told him.

They headed up to the 18th floor and walked to her room....