Chapter 21

I was awoken to my phone buzzing under my head "EURGH hello?" "Becca you need to come in" "okay, I'll bring Carter" I hung up and pulled his hair "OW! You a kiss would have done the trick!" I kissed him and stood up "better?" "No...it's too late, what time is it?" "8.30" he sat up straight "Jesus in the afternoon?!" I spun around and looked at him as I pulled on a shirt "no you idiot in the morning" I threw a shirt at him as he flopped back down.

"Okay we have a missing girl, Sophie 7 year old no witness, the security guard is in hospital with a fractured skull" Harry walked with us inside "anything about the family?" I looked as I pulled on black latex gloves "the father is a navy seal, Sophie was here on a scholarship" Eric followed "apparently all the girls were back stage before the recital, no one was aware Sophie was missing until they came out for the show, that's when her mother realised" I held my finger to my ear "okay danny I want you to look at everyone in Sophie's life, list anyone connected, check for criminal records and check for any similar abductions" "on it now".

Me and Carter drove to Sophie's home, "this is getting less and less likey to be someone close, all the background checks aren't bringing up any red flags, the best we can do is to keep information flowing to her mum" I looked at Carter who nodded in agreement, a woman opened the door "Rosie Clark?" "Yes that's me?" "Detective Carter and Rebecca Harding, can we come in?" She nodded and stepped aside...

"We know your husband is overseas...have you spoken?" "Yeah we spoke just this morning before her recital...he said he was in some sort of mission...I called but I haven't heard back..I hate the fact he doesn't know what's going on, is there something I can do?" "Stay by the phone, we have the best people on this" Carter rubbed her arm before we walked out and got back in the car.

"So If lieutenant Clark is on a mission, by kidnapping his kid, they're trying to interrupt it" I pulled up outside a building, the naval intelligence "I can't confirm that look I can't help you you've just got to take my word for it" I leant forward on the desk "you owe me..." "I've said all I can on this matter "files! Gives me access to his files, and one more thing..his wife, she's trying to get in touch make it happen" "okay...as soon as he is available, he will contact her" "thanks steve" I walked out as we drove back to the dance hall.

Another young girl stood with her parents "hey Maggie? Can I ask you some questions?" She looked at her parents before nodding at me "you went to the bathroom together but you came back alone?" She nodded at me "when did you last see Sophie?" "When we left the bathroom, there was a man, I only saw his back, he was tall, black hair and a blue baseball hat" her dad placed a hand on her shoulder "we would like to take her home now, that okay detective?" "Yeah...thanks" "okay Becca, we found someone to match the description, the dance school needs a card to get in, his name is Ben Suited, Ben was a substitute, his car was seen 15 minutes before and 3 after the kidnap I'm sending you an address now" my phone buzzed "Carter come on" we ran out to the car and drove full speed to the house, we burst through the door " Becca I got blood!" "I got a body" I stood there looking at Ben single gunshot to the head as I put down my gun "okay so the kidnapper calls, kills the teacher takes his card and kidnaps the girl" Danny spoke "you need to get over to Maggie wright's house, they just received a call, I'll send a team to sort out Ben" "okay thanks dan" i turned to Carter "let's go partner"

We arrived at their home "you did the right thing calling us mr and mrs Wright, your daughter and sophia had the same outfit on, the same hairstyle, Sophie wasn't the target, Maggie was, they took the wrong girl" I looked at the parents before looking at Carter, my heart sank as Carter continued to talk to the parents I phoned my brother "hey sis what's up?" "I need you to do something for me" "yeah sure go ahead" "I have some hours of footage, got the time?" "Yeah sure" "call to ops ask Danny he will give you the tape" "okay no trouble" "thanks Hun" I hung up and walked back "we make children products car seats...prams...everyone in our company is family..." Clare Wright wiped her eye "said to give you this" Troy wright handed me a package "okay when the kidnapper calls back, we can trace with this" "well what do I say?" "He's going to ask if you have the money, stall him, once we can confirm it's Sophie you can give him the money...okay?" "Okay".