Chapter 16

I sat there, in the chair dozing in and out of sleep, Becca lying there, lifeless, no one knew who shot her, no one knew why, but all I knew was the love of my life was laying there and there was nothing I could do to help, " id do anything y'know, to swap places with you, you don't deserve to be like that" I kissed her hand, a long drawn out beep suddenly echoed around the room "mr Carter please step out of the room" doctors ushered me to the door "no! I'm staying right here, what's happening!!!" I watched as they pulled the pillow and lowered her head, stripped back the duvet and pulled apart her nighty, all I wanted to do was cover her up "clear!" They shouted before pressing two metal object to her chest, her whole body shook violently "check for a pulse" "what's happening!?!" I tried to get to her "will someone please see to me Carter!" A doctor shouted "CLEAR!" I watched again, and again, and again each time another part of me died.

The doctors pulled away and covered her chest "time of death 3.24am" the doctor removed his hat and stormed out of the door, followed by three others, two nurses came over to me "mr Carter please come with us" "no..no no no no no" my face scrunched up as tears feel from my eyes "mr Carter please you need to come with us, now" the male nurse grabbed my arm tightly "get off me!", his grip was hard "get off of me now!" I reached for my gun he backed away quickly and dropped me to the floor, I sat there and threw my head against the wall "Carter!" I heard Harry call me "CARTER!!!" He starts to shake me.

I woke up "what!?" I heard a familiar beeping noise and looked at Becca on the bed "agent Carter we need you to go, Harry please escort out your colleague" "Harry leave me, don't you dare!" Harry picked me up from behind kicking and screaming and took me out "Carter CALM down" he dropped me and I fell to the floor "I can't lose her again" I sobbed, as I sat up, he went to pick me up but I slapped his hand away "Carter, acting like this isn't going to help anyone" Eric looked at me, I stood up and walked to him, face to face I could feel his breath "what is then huh? WHAT EXACTLY IS going to help her!" "Carter come on now" Harry placed hush hand on my shoulder "I suggest if you don't want to lose your hand...remove it from my shoulder" his hand didn't move "Harry" "Carter shut up" he spun me around and grabbed me into a hug "I don't know what I'll do if I lose her" I sobbed into his neck "we don't know if you have yet, have hope" "mr Carter? Mr James Carter?" I lifted my head and looked, there, in the doorway stood a doctor, holding his hat in his hands "oh god, please no" I started to cry fresh tears "you might want to see this" "Carter! Oh my god what's happened?!" Four men came running down the corridor "maxi!?? Whip? Itchi? Beardy...what...what are you doing here?" "We heard about her shooting we came right over she's like our sister" Beardy said breathlessly "how is she?" Whippet placed his hand on my shoulder "mr Carter please come this way" I nodded slowly and followed him.

"Hey there" I smiled at him, he fell over himself to get to me "don't touch her!" The doctor dragged him back "what why?" "They think I may have a damaged spine" I looked at him my eyes watering, "damaged spine?" Carter looked at the doctor "yes, now you're awake I can start with the tests" he pulled the duvet from my feet and started to push something in them "can you feel that?" The doctor looked at me, "no" I sighed disappointedly fighting the tears "what about this?" I waited to feel something "I can't feel my legs..." I looked up at him "I can't feel my legs" I sobbed as I threw my head back down "okay, I'll be back shortly miss Harding" the doctor walked out leaving me and Carter "it might just be a little numbness from the anaesthetic "I can't feel my legs Carter" i laid there looking up at the ceiling as the tears rolled down my cheeks onto the pillow, "knock knock?" A make voice came through the door followed by shuffling feet "Becca!!!" The lifeguards smiled as they gathered around my bed "oh god what's wrong Hun?" Whip stroked my forehead "nothing I'm fine" I sniffed as another tear fell "paralysis?" Maxi looked up at me from my notes the lads all turned to me "they may have mentioned something about that.." I sniffed as I wiped my face "from where?" Asked Beardy "I was shot in my lower back, so just my legs, I can't feel my legs and all I want to do is wiggle my toes" "you'll get them back!" Itchi smiled at me as he passed me a glass of water.

Eventually they all went leaving me and Carter alone, "I'm giving you chance to get out now" I looked at him "what?" He frowned as he leant on the bed from the chair "what do you mean get out? Where do you think I'm going?" I sighed heavily as looked at him "i know what you go for in a girl, and I'm still surprised you've fallen for me, but if I am paralysed, I'm giving you a chance to find a girl who is capable of doing things you want her to do, who doesn't need you to be at her side doing everything for her" "Rebecca stop, now, I love you! I always will and I WILL marry you, and if that means quitting my job and helping you I will! If you don't want a chair, I'll carry you, if you want to run I'll find a way..." He kissed me, gently on the lips "I want to walk" I whispered against his mouth he pulled away and looked at me "Carter help me up" he came round to the side of the bed "bec I don't think that's a good idea.." "This way...I'll know for sure" I pushed myself and threw my legs over the side "Becca.." "James" I looked at him, he held his hands out slowly, and I placed my hands in his, he stroked my hands with his thumbs, I edged my way until my feet touched the floor.

"Oh Becca I'm so sorry" Carter pulled me into a hug, my face buried in his shirt "the floor....it's so cold..." I sobbed harder "what? Wait...you can feel it?" He cupped my face and kissed me hundreds of times "help me up help me up" I smiled as he held onto my hands, slowly he lifted me up "how you feeling?" "Well I don't know..you've lifted me off the floor" I smiled at him, he carefully lowered me "step back" he looked at me "step back and go fetch the doctor" I smiled as I stood there, standing on my own two feet, wiggling my toes...