Chapter 30

"Guys!!" I screamed a is dragged Danny's body onto the beach next to the other lads "come on!!!!" I shouted down the phone to the the emergency services "madam please stay calm, shouting won't get us anywhere" "get someone down the beach right now!" "Okay are they breathing?" "Two of them are...Carter....my parter isn't" I put the phone on loud speaker and tried giving him mouth to mouth "okay, the ambulance is on the way, do you know what happened?' I continued to do compressions "I don't know! They went underwater and came floating back up!" I heard the sound of the sirens coming down the street, and soon, the brightly coloured jackets of the ambulance men "come on Carter!" I breathed into him again but with no luck.

The paramedics Carter off Danno and Steve and drove them to the hospital, they continued to work on Carter even in the ambulance "Carter wake up!" I stroked his cheek as the ambulance drove down the twisted streets "I'm calling it....time of death 7.32" the other paramedic wrote down the time "NO!" I dragged him out the way and sat on Carter's legs and started the compressions again, the paramedic grabbed my arm when I held a gun to him "touch me, the safety is off" he stepped back, holding his hands up "look, we don't want any trouble..." "I'm a god damned agent! And I want my parter back!" They suddenly relaxed as I put the gun away and started to push harder "do the shock" "we don't know what damage that will co-" "DO IT!" I jumped off and grabbed the pad,s and reached for the machine to press his chest "you can't do it, here" the woman held out her hands, I passed them to her. "CLEAR!" She shocked him, his whole body shuck violently "CLEAR!" She shocked him again with no luck she looked at me "again." "This could cause more damage..." "Do it AGAIN" I looked at her, she looked at her partner before doing it again, suddenly the heart monitor started to beep "oh thank god" I sat down as they got to work on Carter.

They rushed him into a private room where Danno and Steve were, steve was awake "Becca? How is he?" They closed the curtain around him "I don't know....they pronounced him dead and then they shocked him so many times...and I" he pulled my head into his chest and kissed the top "he will pull through....I think I know what happened..." I sat up "what?" He pulled the duvet from his ankle "look...." There was a slight raised lump with a dot in the middle "I need you to check if Carter and Danno have one..." "I have one too" Danno coughed from the corner "you've been drugged...." "I don't know what with, or by who...but we need you to find out, I'll do the best I can from the hospital" I looked around, it was clear of doctors "I need a sample of the wound...." Steve nodded and out his head back, I took a syringe from the nurses draw and carefully stuck it in his ankle, taking out the purple looking liquid we broth shared the same expression "well....that can't be good" I took out the needle and put the syringe in my bikini top "I'll be back, let me now anything about Carter!" "Where are you going?" "To the lab....I'm going to pull the agent badge" Danno and Steve smiled as I disappeared down the stairs.

I knocked of the glass window, a lab person opened the door "you're not allowed down he-" I slapped my badge on the window "I'm allowed down here, and you're going to do me a favour..." In the other hand I held the syringe up to the window, the door soon opened...
It must have been minutes later "the poison is Belladonna" "belladonna? What's that?" He typed it into the computer and found photos "it's was used for middle aged cosmetic purposes...used to be diluted to dilate the pupils, or rubbed on cheeks for blusher, however, if anyone digested the leaves, even a single leaf, if was fatal, they used to lace the poisoned tipped arrows with it, however, the berries of the plant are more lethal" "so....if this was injected..." "Then I'm surprised any of your friends are alive..." I looked at him "how'd you know?" "News travels fast...we just hadn't gotten to take a sample yet because we weren't sure how it was put in their bodies...good work detective" he smiled kindly at me "is there an antidote?" "Yes..." "I'm sensing a but?" He sighed "it only for the skin contact...not blood system..." "So now what?" "We have to wash out their blood systems so to speak, and pray, pray to whatever god you do or do not believe in" I looked at him as I stood up and walked to the door "did you know...the name belladonna was derived from the italian word meaning beautiful woman...sorry I'm full of these useless facts" I looked at him "no...that's actually helpful!" I ran back to steve.

"Any news on Carter?" "They're still working on him...any news?" "Belladonna" "isn't that a berry?" "Yeah, the leaves a fatal but the berries, the purple berries are more lethal...the antidote only works for the skin contact, so they're gonna have to wash out you blood system so to speak..." "Oh good" Danno ran his hands through his hair "so...any idea who'd do it?" I nodded as tears formed in my eyes "Robert..." "Robert? Who's Robert?" "An ex I thought was dead...." "Oh good...a jealous ex nothing is more deadly than a jealous ex" Danno sighed heavily "why did you think he was dead?" Steve prompted "becuase...we blew him up" "obviously not well enough" Danno looked at us as a single tear rolled over my cheek when I closed my eyes, trying to blank him out "NOT helpful Daniel" Steve growled at him "I'll get this son of a bitch if it kills me" I stood up and grabbed my bag "please don't die.." Danno shouted as I walked out.

I rang every mental hospital, hoping he had escaped, as that would at least give me an idea of his mental state, but no luck, I looked through every newspaper in hope that something would be helpful, again...no luck, so I drove to the beach, in Steve's car and walked down to the waters edge, it was dark, so I had no hope of finding anything, I stood in the water, the small waves washing over my feet, thank fully the rain had stopped, I stood there, Carter's jacket around my shoulders when something hit my foot, I bent down and picked it up, grabbed my phone and shone the torch on it...a needle, with purple liquid in the tube still, and around the side, Hawaii pacific health.

I ran through the hospital, in my costume and into the boys' room where a doctor was about to inject Carter's IV drip with a formala "HANDS UP" I loaded my gun and held it at the doctor "Becca what are you doing?" Steve sat up as the doctor turned around "why didn't you die...we blew you up!" I spat at him,as anger rose up through my body "sorry to disappoint, however I would like to thank you for my new look" he pointed to his charred face, "yeah well I'm sorry it didn't kill you... Because that death would have been painful...slow...more than you deserved" a doctor came in behind me "get out!" I shouted as he gasped at my gun "I need to-" "GET OUT NOW" He shut the door quickly, Robert had stepped closer to me, "step any closer, and I'll kill you..." He stepped closer, and pulled me into him "you know I always loved you, the boys had to die, they were taking away the real you, they were stopping you being yourself...I love yo-" I pulled my trigger, the bullet went straight into his stomach, his body, fell to the floor, his head cracked the tiles. I knelt next to him "the only one who took away the real me...was you..." I twisted my finger in his bullet hole as he cried out in pain, the doctor burst through the door and went to him "make sure the police handcuff both hands and both legs" the doctor nodded as he got wheeled out on a trolley, smiling at me "wow Becca.." Steve looked at me "you didn't kill him?" I turned to them "oh...I will....slowly...and painfully..." I smiled at them when we heard a rustling noise behind "agent?" Carter croaked, "oh my god you're awake!" I ran to him and crushed my lips to his "do I know you?" His eyes looked into mine, lost pools of blue stared at me...