Chapter 10

I woke up, the other side if the bed was nearly made, I rubbed my eyes and got up with a yawn, I could smell...nothing...no breakfast not even burnt toast, I walked down stairs and in the kitchen, Carter was cleaning up a plate and swearing crumbs off the side, "morning" I looked at him "oh hey" "you erm..had breakfast?" He nodded at me "where's mine?" He looked at the side and then back at me "you were asleep" I laughed in surprise "what?! You were alseep!!" "You could've made me some anyway! I always make you breakfast!" "Get dressed for work" I smiled at him and ran upstarts to throw on the new lifeguard uniform.

We decided to drive that morning, our car had been delivered finally, "you still haven't told me where your gun is" Carter looked at me as he turned the radio down, "why is it so important to you?" "I just need to make sure you've got it!" "Look, as long as I know I have it what does it matter?" "Well someone is touchy this morning! This because of breakfast?" "What no!" He looked at me with raised eyebrows "no! It isn't because of breakfast okay" I sighed "so what is it?" "Nothing!" "So it's just lady issues" I looked at him, mouth wide open "lady issues!" "I ....erm...I" "just zip it" he moved us fingers across his lips like a zip and sat arms folded.

We arrived at the tower, "morning guys! Happy valentines day Becca" Whippet smiled at me, Carter suddenly started to laugh "find something funny?" I turned to him, "that's why you're miserable! Because it's valentines day!" He laughed, it echoed around the room "grumpy?" Whippet looked at me "I'm not" I smiled at him "I'm NOT grumpy!" I hit him on the arm "hey remind me never to get on the wrong side if you, grumpy or not" whippet laughed as he walked over to the lockers, "well if you are grumpy" I turned to him he stepped back holding his hands up "wait wait wait...this is addressed to you" he smiled as he handed me an envelope before running to set the flags up, I looked at the handwriting and turned it over to open it, inside was a valentines card, I looked around before opening it *to Becca! love your secret admirerer* "who's that from?!" Carter grabbed my arms "WHY, why make me jump!?" "Is that a card?! A valentines card!" He pressed his ear "hey guys, Becca got a valentines card!" I then heard in my ear piece *a card! who from Becca?" Harry teased "shut up" I rolled my eyes and walked back up the stairs, and towards whippet "hey the card is lovely" he looked at me confused "it isn't from me" he laughed, "it isn't?" "Nooo" "so who?" He brought me to the door and pointed to a lifeguard "I think he did" he was pointing to a man, blonde, in his uniform "thanks.." He nodded and walked away....

As the day went on maxi kept avoiding me, "hey guys come check this out" harries shouted us over, he was at following a man on the security screen, "been following him for a while, reckon he's either looking for someone, or he's about to steal something" I turned to look at Carter, he had the same build as the man in the photo from the murder, "me and Carter will go and check it out!" We walked down to the beach and followed him for a while, we followed him up to the promenade when he decided to run "we've got a runner!" I shouted as I chased him, Carter was close to me, we ran until we caught up win him, in a quiet street, we cornered him into a corner, Carter grabbed his gun from his back and I pulled one from my bikini bra holster, " bra holster really?" I looked at him in disbelief, "what's your name?" "Lifeguards have guns now!?" "Funny name" Carter interrupted "special agent Becca Harding, this is special agent James Carter, what is your name?" "Tom Gregory" he looked at us, Harry and Eric came behind us, "well take him for questioning" Harry jumped forward and took him away.

Ont he way back to the tower I bumped into maxi "oh hey sorry" I smiled "I erm....yeah no erm trouble" Carter looked at us both, "Carter I'm sure you can go fetch us dinner..." "Yeah but" "now!" I smiled he sighed heavily "thanks for the card" "oh...you erm, got it...wait how'd you know it was me" "I didn't for sure, but I do now" be blushed madly, "I erm...I" I kissed his cheek softly "it was very sweet thankyou" he blushed even more and ran to get lunch...

That night I was sat watching TV when Carter came in " hey the guys want to do something tonight, wanna come?" "Sure what are you doing?" "The cinema" I jumped up from the sofa and got ready.

we arrived at the cinema "I can't see the guys anywhere" "well let's go inside, we can get popcorn and bits in there, find a seat and wait for em in there okay?" I shrugged "yeah okay"...I chose a typical romcom, we sat near the back, just as the film started harry and Eric came in and sat by either side of us, Harry grabbed a handful and started eating the popcorn....

It got to a really so bit in the movie, "what just happened?" Carter leant in "what?" "Well it just got all sad" "they have to make it have a sad scene in it so yet goes all mushy at the end you see?" Harry leant over "no I don't see this is supposed to be a romantic comedy, it has no romance nor comedy In it!" It tried to ignore them "so now the music will pick up in three, two, one and boom, there you go the kiss, the mush" "hey you two can we save the running commentary for the DVD release!?" "Yeah sorry of course" they leant back in their chairs, "this is the most unrealistic film I have ever seen!" Carter began to giggle, causing Harry to giggle, people around us were tutting loudly, suddenly Eric's phone rang "are You kidding me!" Someone from the back shouted "sorry! Sorry!" Harry and Eric both got up, apologising to the crowd as they did.

As the film carried on, It dawned on me the other two hadn't come back in, Carter suddenly lifted his arm up and put it over my shoulder, I frowned as I looked at him, he removed it quickly, I smiled as I took it and wrapped it around again a snuggling into his shoulder, the film finished and we walked back to the car, "so where did those two go?" "Must have been Called in for something" "or it was part of your plan?" I turned to look at him "I'm not stupid you know, I gathered this was a date" "I...well..." "Why didn't you just ask, you. Don't talk to me!" "I do talk to you" "you never say what you mean!" "Yes I do" he looked at me, he looked hurt "no you don't" he pulled up outside the house, and we walked in "do you ever know what you mean??" "Wha why why what do you mean, what do you think that I mean?" He began to stutter "you never tell me what you think you always go around the subject! Look tonight wasn't exactly a night out with the lads was it?" He tilted his head to the side "okay so it may have ended up being just the two of us, but it was originally the four" "you know what I'm talking about, this was nice, tonight, it was great Infact" "I know I was thinking about going to see another movie" he joked " damn it Carter" i sighed, he sucked his bottom lip "and that's a problem because?" "Because once again, you're trying to say something without you actually saying it.....and to be honest..it's driving me insane" there was a pause between us "I think you lost me-" "no, I don't think so, I think you know exactly what I mean" we were stood opposite each other "Carter! You asked me out on a date without actually asking me, now I don't know how this is going to work if we can't communicate, you never say what you mean and I never know what you're thinking all the ti-" "I don't want to talk" he looked down at the floor, I looked at him with frowned eyes "what?!" He raised his head and looked deep into my eyes "I don't want to talk, because I want..." He leant forward and crushed his lips against mine.