Chapter 38

I sat there, staring at my reflection in the mirror as the makeup artist finished the last touches "you look ravishing" she stepped back to admire her work "thank you, for everything" I smiled as the hair stylist walked in with her tools, "okay we're going curly!" She smiled as she took to my hair, I didn't get a word in, she just talked, and talked and talked, how she found the things to talk about amazed me, I just sat, listened, and nodded at the right times, pulling the right facial expressions.

Home alone After an hour I was ready, finally ready, Standing there, looking at myself in the full length mirror, I couldn't be happier, nothing was going to ruin this, I was so excited, I looked, even if I said so myself, I looked amazing, and I felt amazing, nothing, no one could ruin this, until I blacked out...

I woke up to a bright light, after the bag over my head had been ripped off, letting my eyes focus around the brightness I looked at my surroundings, I was in a warehouse, a dirty, dark and damp smelling warehouse "ah you're awake! Good!" "Carter?" My eyes blurry from the bright spotlight focused on the figure that appeared around the corner, "Becca....my sweet Becca..." He dragged a chair and brought it to sit in first of me, my arms tied behind me around the chair, my feet attached to the chair legs, "Carter...what are you doing?" He sat and smiled, twisting a knife in his hands, "where did we go wrong Becca?" "You killed people...innocent people...that not the man I loved...the man I loved -" "is dead, I'm the new improved version" he stood up, and rubbed his thumb over my cheek "Carter this-" "shhh...I...I've seen the light, I've seen what I was meant to do with my life" "you're not a murderer Carter....you don't have it in your bones" "you just don't understand me...not anymore..." "I understand that you've got with a bad crowd, you can turn this around, hand yourself in for killing those people, they'll knock time off your sentence..." "No..you just don't understand do you" "understand what?" I refused to cry, to show him fear "the only one that can change is you, you need to come to me, I'm better than Steve, I can give you so much more....come to me we can kill him together" "what if I don't?" He pressed the blade to my throat "I'll have to kill you" "then you don't love me...if you're willing to kill me like that, then you can't love me" "but this is the thing Becca, I love you so much, that, I'm saving you from being in a life of hatred, misery and lies" "how?" "Steve is a player, he's not like me he doesn't care about you he just wants your money, I'd be saving you by, if you came with me, you'd have a life you deserve, I'd dote on you, love you, we could work together, if you go with him, I'd have to kill you because you wouldn't be safe" there was no way of me getting out of this...except for one of us dying, "okay Carter.." I smiled at him, I could still see the man behind the mask of this monster, "cut my ties" he smiled "I'm glad you saw sense" he came being and loosened my wrists, before making his way back and slowly lifting up my wedding dress, kissing my thighs as he untied my ankles.

He helped me to my feet, kissing my wrists, as I pulled him in, hugging him tightly as first until he found my lips with his, kissing passionately it distracted him, he didn't feel me take the gun from his back pocket, he didn't feel me press it to his chest as he shoved his tongue into my mouth, I pulled away slightly, whispering against his lips his eyes met mine "I'm sorry...." I looked at him as I pulled the trigger, he stumbled back, clutching to his chest, "Becca" the red blood patch slowly growing on his shirt, he stumbled towards me as I jumped back he fell to his knees... Looking up at me "thank you..." He held out his bloodied hand, taking mine as he fell to the ground...

I had no car, no phone, I was stood there, in a wedding dress, with my dead ex husband in front of me, and a wedding I had to get to, my own wedding, with a sick feeling in my stomach I patted down Carter, bingo, a set of car keys, I picked up my dress, ran outside and pressed the car key button, nothing happened as I ran down the carpark, pressing the key when a car unlocked..."wow..."  A 1968 Chevrolet Camaro sat there, black, shiny, pale leather seats, he'd obviously stolen it, but what a nice car...I jumped in the driver seat, and pulled out of the carpark at speed, following the signs the best I could...

That's when the tears suddenly began to fall, hitting every traffic light I tried to remember the best bits, to get the image of him from my mind......"and I was casually enjoying my slope when someone, screaming at the top of her lungs crashed into the back of me, taking us both out" i shot him a look before continuing I couldn't believe he just shared that "he pulled me up, and I kept slipping so he carried me to a bench and made sure I was okay, we swapped numbers and then" "it went from there" Carter finished my sentence, he then placed his hand over my left hand, "how did you know he was the one?" Sarah rested in her hands, I looked at Carter for a moment "his eyes, so blue, so big, he was wearing these ridiculous clothes, this bright yellow hat, yellow scarf, bright green gloves and a coat that was covered in snow" I was brought from my memory by cars beeping at me, people didn't take kindly to a person sat there when the lights were green, I pulled away quickly as I drove along the dusty road, I stretched up my top coming up as I did when suddenly I felt two arms wrap around my waist and lift me up "whoa whoa whoa!!!!" I pulled up straight trying to see, Carter was stood there looking up at me "put....it...on...the...tree!!!" He struggled as he kept walking around trying not to drop me....my arse was a little too close to his face for my liking "fine...close your eyes!" I demanded "why?" "Will you just" "okay okay" he closed them and I leant forward and placed the star on the tree then looked in the mirror which was over the fireplace, he was checking out my bum! "I said close your eyes!!!" He jumped and stumbled backwards falling on his back he took me with him, I spun myself around and ended up laying on top of him, my arms either side of his head holding up the top half of my body, his hands holding my waist still....I moved the hair from my face "you okay?" I looked at his eyes, the blue pools..."uh huh" I nodded quickly...we stayed there a little while longer...hot salty tears running down my cheeks as I turned down a busy road, thanks god for waterproof mascara...

So many memories, ran through my mind, we had a life together, and all that vanished, in the blink of an eye...."it's the first step in becoming the crazy lady with 60 cats!" He folded his arms "Becca...think about this...ski resort, ski cabin, three feet of fresh snow, skiing during the day, blazing fire at night" he used his hands to act out a flame, I took a breath "I don't think so" I shook my head, "do you suck?" I looked at him wide eyed "excuse me?!" I asked shocked "at........skiing I know it takes a lot of coordination maybe we could get you a sledge?" He looked at me amused "I can ski" I pulled a face at him as I hung up another decoration "maybe we could get you a helmet" "I don't need a helmet!" "what are you so afraid of?" He folded his arms again "nothing I'm not afraid of anything! I could kick your arse right now anytime anywhere" I used my hands to show my body "this here is black diamond rating" he looked me up and down "there's no doubt that that is black diamond rated" I shook my head at him....

I eventually pulled up, I could see everyone at the beach, stood looking, wondering where I was, I could see Steve, frantically dialling someone, probably my mobile, I leapt out the car, stole a rose from a near by bush and ran down the beach, when the guitar player saw me, I nodded as he began to strum, the party looked around, becoming quiet, and standing up to face me, i began to walk, down the white lace material laid on the sand....."You may now kiss your bride" Carter couldn't stop smiling as he lifted the veil over my head and chuckled as he pressed his lips against mine, cupping my face as he did before pulling me into a hug "you're crying already! Great start!" He whispered in my ear as I laughed out loud, follows by a snort, a quiet snort but a piggy snort all the same "come on! A party awaits!" Carter grabbed my hand as we sped down the red carpet into the car waiting to take us to uour party venue..." I got to the front, where Steve took my Hand "Becca you're crying, where have you been?!?" "Can I tell you later?" I whispered to him "of course you can do I need to do anything?" "No...it's all over...all you need to know, is I'm happy, I'm free, and I'm the happiest person alive..."