Chapter 27...I'm wrong.

Nicklaus POV

After she goes to her room, I come down to the poolside. This is one place where I can be at rest. last two days appeared to be a roller-coaster ride. The moment when I saw the photograph of Christina and that guy everything became red to my vision. I was infuriating to the extend of murdering her. She did exactly what her father did years back. I lost all ability of judgement.

Her eyes screamed innocence, her face was naive and soul was pure yet I end up punishing her. I saw her shivering in cold. But to my surprise she remained strong. In the next morning when she was making breakfast for me I sensed she was suffering from fever but I chose not to care much.

I was in the middle of an important meeting, when I receive the call from guards saying that Christina had a fall from stairs I drove home at the full speed, calling the doctor on the way. Reaching home, I found maids are trying to get her back at her senses but she stayed unconscious and blood were flowing out of her forehead. Picking her I laid her on my bed, cleaning her wounded forehead.

Her state was somehow mournful to my black soul.

Flashback

"She has high fever and her body is too weak. She needs to eat well Mr. Salvatore." Doctor says.

"I will take care of her." I reply.

"Here are some medicines and I've injected Acetaminophen to reduce her fever but if the fever comes back again you might give a sponge bath. It help to reduce the temperature." Prescribing a few medicines he leaves. I order the medicines and let her rest until she wakes up, in the meantime I take a quick shower.

 I cancel all the meetings for today as Christina is ill I was unable to attend any. I check her temperature and it is above 102 degree. She is burning and she constantly mumbling that she hasn't done anything. I feel a strange sadness witnessing her at this state. Her each beg punches my humanity. 

How did I end up doing this to her? 

Wait! Isn't this is what I always wanted, to make her suffer? 

Then why I'm not pleased?

Gulping down the rising rage, guilt and frustration I dial Liam. "Find out the main culprit who stole that file by tomorrow."

Though every evidence is against her, an unknown sense of trust sailing inside me for her. I know she has nothing to do with it. Hell she doesn't even know anything about the business. It is a trap. A distraction. A colossal web of conspiracy has been planning. Whoever is the culprit, he knows about Christina and my relation with her. The question is how. I kept my marriage private. Outsiders don't have the clue.

I'm thinking all when she wakes up. Checking her temperature I feed her a bow of soup. She is very hungry indeed. 

"When is the last you ate?" I ask.

"Yesterday in the afternoon." She says.

She is starving more than twenty-four hours, which makes me more furious but I decided not to burst out on her, not on her this condition. 

"You're so cruel." She commented as I force to take the medicines. She acted like a baby eating medicines.

Laying her down, I cover her with the blankets. She grabs my wrist and said, "I haven't done it." I had a strong urge to kiss her pink pulpy lips assuring her everything will be okay, but I hold myself back. I wish I could believe her completely, but I can never because she is the daughter of that fucking man who ruined my family. I place a kiss on her temple and leave the room because if I stay any longer I'm going to lose myself.