Loved or Unloved?: Chapter 24 - Tying loose ends

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: Tying loose ends

“No way.”

“Why not?” whined Zac.

“There’s no way in hell I’m watching Paranormal Activity for movie night tonight.”

“Why not?” he asked again.

“I have friends who watched it and couldn’t sleep for a week!”

“It’s not that scary,” Zac said.

“You said Insidious isn’t that scary as well.” Zac chuckled.

“But you have to admit, it was pretty good,” he said after a while.

“Well, I had my eyes and ears closed half the time.”

“And you were hugging me so tight,” added Zac.

I blushed. Trying to change the subject, I said, “why do you like horror movies so much?”

“I like the thrill and adrenaline rush when I watch them. And you hugging me so tightly is a bonus.” I rolled my eyes at him and said nothing else as we approached our school. Once Zac parked into his usual spot and killed the engine, he put on his aviator sunglasses before getting out of the car. As usual, I tried to mimic his grace but ended up stumbling out instead. Embarrassed, I looked around to see if anyone saw that. Most eyes were glued to Zac as he ran a hand through his hair and motioned me over to him. I quickly closed the car door and walked over to Zac who immediately wrapped an arm around me protectively.

“We’re watching Paranormal Activity tonight, no excuses,” he said and started walking towards the entrance with me by his side. Dozens- no hundreds of pairs of eyes flicked to us as we walked into the school. I diverted my eyes to the ground, not wanting to meet anyone’s intense gaze. It has been three months since I got back together with Zac but with the stares and everything, you’d thought it was just three days.

It has also been three months since Nick left. At first, I tried to text him, email him and Skype him but got no replies. After a while, Zac finally talked some sense into me, making me realize he left because he wanted some alone time, so I shouldn’t bother him until he’s ready to be friends again. Ever since then, I’ve stopped trying to contact him and tried to adjust to me new life without him.

It was very hard in the beginning because we all missed Nick but now I believe all three of us, Jade, Zac and I have gotten used to the absence of our friend. “Hey, what are you thinking about?” Zac asked, interrupting my thoughts.

“Nick,” I answered simply as I spun the combination for my locker and took out the books I needed before slamming it close.

“You okay?”

“Yeah. I still miss him but I understand why he left.” .

Zac nodded. “Come on, I’ll walk you to your class.”

“Won’t you be late?” I asked.

“We’ve been through this a dozen times, Sophie. You know I don’t care!” Ever since we started dating again, Zac has walked me to all of my classes without fail, making himself late every single time. At first I used to argue because I didn’t want him to be late for class but I gave up after sometime.

“Fine.” We both walked in comfortable silence to my class and once we got there, I waved at Zac before turning around to enter the class but before I could step into the class, Zac spun me around and pulled me into a hug before kissing my forehead.

“I love you,” he said into my hair.

“Love you too, now shoo!” I joked and he grinned at me before leaving. Quickly, I walked into my class and made a beeline towards my seat with Jade in the back, ignoring the stares of jealously, hatred and irritation.