Loved or Unloved?: Chapter 5 - Accidentally on Purpose

CHAPTER FIVE: Accidentally on Purpose

Yawning, I walked through the entrance of Richmond High for my seventh school day here. I realized I should have slept earlier and not stay up all night to read. I mentally reminded myself to sleep early today. I slowly trudged towards my locker, yawning repeatedly.

“Sophie!” a loud, familiar voice shouted from the other end of the hallway.

 “I’m not deaf you know,” I said once she came closer. Jade grinned.

“Sorry, I was just excited. Do you know the bookstore in town? Avend?” she asked.

“Yup, what’s up?”

“They are having a big book sale!”

“And?”

“I want to go.”

“Okay,” I said.

“And you’re coming with me.”

“Why should I?”

“You said so yourself you need some new books to read.”

“Fine, when?”

“Today. I can’t wait to get another copy of Wuthering Heights, I lost my old copy,” Jade explained.

“Okay, nerd,” I teased. Jade narrowed her eyes at me.

“What did you say?”

“Nothing. Sorry, I just couldn’t help it,” I apologized.

“It’s okay, so today after school?”

“Sure.”

“Great! Now let’s go to Physics,” Jade said enthusiastically. I shook my head at Jade’s enthusiasm for class and pulled my Physics book out of my locker before making my way to the Physics classroom.

Time passed relatively slow for me because I was having trouble keeping myself awake throughout all the classes. And even as impossible as it sounds, the lessons are actually getting more and more boring. Just then, the bell rang, signaling the start of lunch hour and students filed out of the classroom and headed towards the lunchroom. I followed the flow of students with Jade by my side and lined up for food.

Once Jade and I got our chicken fingers and cokes, we sat down by our usual table and started eating. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Zac making his way towards us. I immediately pulled Jade by her elbow and motioned for her to go to the garden with her tray, causing her to raise an eyebrow at me, but follow me with her tray nevertheless.

Once we got to the garden, I picked a shady spot under a tree and plopped down with my tray, and stared eating my oil-soaked fries. “Why did we suddenly come out?” Jade asked.

“Zac was going to sit with us.”

“So?”

“I don’t want him to.”

“Care to explain why?” I sighed.

“One, I don’t want to cause a scene again and two, he’s going to kill me.”

“Once again, care to explain why?”

“I called him Zackie yesterday and a lot of people heard. He hates being called Zackie.”

“Oh my god, you guys have pet names for each other now? That’s so cute,” Jade cooed.

“It’s not a pet name ugh. It’s just a nickname and I like how it makes him embarrassed.” We spent lunch sitting under the big shady tree, talking about the Harry Potter characters we were mentally dating. I was dating Harry Potter and Jade was dating Ron Weasley because she thinks the way he says ‘bloody hell’ is cute.