Loved or Unloved?: Chapter 21 - Abnormal

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: Abnormal

My eyes stuck to my phone’s screen but I looked up just in time to hear loud honk and a lorry swerve away from my car. I quickly veered my car back on the road and thanked God again and again for letting the lorry swerve away just in time.

10 minutes of gluing my eyes to the road later, I reached Kappa Street. After killing my engine and locking my car, I broke into a run to the intersection of Kappa Street and Eighteen Street with worry clouding my thoughts. The streets were eerily silent with not even a person in sight. My heart thumped loudly from fear as I neared the intersection. When I saw a figure lying on the pavement at the intersection, I ran as fast as I could. When I got there, my eyes immediately widened as I assessed Nick’s injuries. His entire face was swollen, bruises were definitely growing. There were many cuts here and there from his face all the way down to his legs. Nick’s shirt was torn and tattered and he looked as pale as a dead person.

“N-Nick?”

Nick tried to smile at me but failed, probably because it took too much effort. “Sophie, thanks for coming,” he breathed.

“Come on, we need to get you to the hospital,” I said while gently helping him onto his feet.

Something flashed in Nick’s eyes before looked at me like I was crazy. “No way.”

“Why not?”

“I-I’m scared,” he mumbled.

“Of what?”

“They told me not to tell anyone or else they’ll kill me,” Nick admitted.

“But you’re injured! You need to go to the hospital!” I argued.

“I have a private nurse at home.”

“Nick, you need a doctor, not a nurse!”

“They are watching, Sophie.” Those words sent a shiver down my spine.

“Let’s get out of here then,” I suggested and placed his arm on my shoulders, helping him walk while leading him towards my car. Once we got there, I unlocked my car doors and helped Nick get in my car and buckled his seat belt for him before going over to the driver’s side and revving the engine.

I quickly started towards Nick’s house, trying my best to follow his vague directions, seeing as I’ve never been to his house.

“Nick, are you sure you don’t want to go to the hospital?” I asked again.

“Positive.” The rest of the journey to Nick’s house was silent, with the exception of him giving directions. I didn’t waste my efforts to try to make small talk because I knew it hurts Nick to talk.

Once we pulled into Nick’s humongous porch, I parked my car and went over to Nick’s side to help him out, throwing his arms around my shoulders again to support him. We both slowly made our way towards the entrance of his house which was very far from his porch because of the size of the land. His house was just a mere shadow that loomed over every other house in the neighborhood. But when I got closer and I saw how the house really looks, my mouth fell open. There sat a simple but majestic house with grand pillars all around and a unique shaped roof, painted in no other colors than white.

There were countless windows around the magnificent building, accentuating the simple structure. The garden surrounding the house was kept beautifully, not a grass out of place. A beautiful cupid fountain stood in front of the house with red and pink roses surrounding it. There were trees all over the place, giving it the feel of a park. The beauty of the house by far exceeded the beauty of any dream houses in a catalog or magazine. If Nick wasn’t injured, I can spend hours out here, just gawking at the magnificence of the garden and exterior of the house.