Loved or Unloved?: Chapter 3 - Friends or Enemies?

CHAPTER THREE: Friends or Enemies?

I smiled as Jade and I walked into Richmond High together. Today is my fifth day attending this school and after today, I’ll finally get a break from all the drama. Over the past week, my friendship with Jade grew and everyone in the school now knew that the ‘new girl’ made friends with scholarship student, Jade. Because of that, we were both ignored. We didn’t mind being ignored, in fact, we liked it.

Anna hadn’t bothered me at all since Monday and frankly, I don’t mind not having her as a companion. So the week was pretty peaceful and uneventful, just the way I like it. Jade and I walked towards my locker and realized I spoke too soon. In black paint, the words ‘whore’, ‘slut’ and ‘gold-digger’ were sprayed on my locker. Half the student body stood there, staring at me, waiting for my reaction.

“Oh my God,” I heard Jade say beside me. I stayed silent.

“Let’s get out of here, Soph,” Jade urged.

“Lead the way,” I murmured. Jade grabbed my hand and we weaved our way through the whispering and laughing crowd around my locker. I knew those words were for my mother, and gold-digger was for the both of us. As we were walking to class, I could see Anna laughing with her plastic friends. That bitch, I thought. Because I didn’t want to cause a scene, I controlled my urge to punch her as I walked past her, but she clearly thought otherwise.

“Oh, Sophie! I can’t believe someone did that to your locker!” she said in a sickly sweet tone.

“I know it was you Anna, so cut with the crap,” I replied in a disgusted tone.

“Okay then, I’ll just get to the point. You and your mother are unwelcomed in my home. You both are just a pair of gold-diggers. And just because your father is dead doesn’t mean I’ll pity you. I think your father is happier being dead. He probably couldn’t take any more of the both of you, so he got himself killed because being dead is better than being married to a whore and having such an ugly child,” Anna said.

Right then, something snapped inside me and I no longer cared whether I caused or scene or not because I can’t stand here and listen to the way she talked about my mother and my father. My hands automatically clenched into fists and I pulled back my arm and before I knew it, my fist connected with Anna’s perfectly modified nose. Blood gushed out and a stream of ‘oh my god’s were heard.

“Don’t you ever dare talk about my family like that again, I’ll take your shit about me, but you just crossed the damned line talking about my family,” I growled as Anna tried to move away from me.

I held back the tears as I tore through the school hall, out of the entrance and ran in the pouring rain for a good 20 minutes before my legs were so tired they threatened to give out. I forced myself to walk to the closest park and take a seat on a bench. My fist was throbbing with pain. The tears that I’ve been holding in for so long gushed out and I sat there crying. Why did Anna’s words affect me so much? Was it because I was afraid it was true?

The pain I felt was definitely not physical but emotional pain. I cried there for what felt like eternity and didn’t notice someone was standing in front of me as I had my head down the whole time. I looked up to see a guy who was probably a head taller than me. His messy brown hair and sky blue eyes accentuated his prominent features. He looked at me with a raised eyebrow. I groaned internally. Must such a cute guy catch me at my weakest moment?

“What are you doing in my park?” he demanded.

“Your park? This is a public place, it’s for anyone!” I snapped at him, forgetting my manners and getting annoyed. He might look perfect, but his personality definitely isn’t.