Loved or Unloved?: Chapter 15 - My star, my hero

Chapter 15: My star, my hero

“I can’t feel my legs,” complained Nick as Jade pulled me into yet another posh clothing shop.

“Suck it up, Nick,” Jade said. Nick groaned and plopped himself onto a sofa, tapping his fingers impatiently. I scanned through the racks and pulled out a black sequined dress. The length was to my knees and the silky black fabric crisscrossed over each other, giving it an elegant feel to the dress. The sequins were shining under the lights and it was so beautiful that I was itching to try it on. Glancing at the multiple zeros on the price tag, I quickly put it back on the racks and moved on to another rack, hoping to find something nice but with less zeros on the price tag.

I heard a loud shriek and quickly turned to find Jade holding the black sequined dress I saw just now. “It would look so good on you!” she said.

“I don’t like it,” I lied.

“C’mon, just give it a try,” Jade urged.

“Yeah!” Nick chipped in. I gave up and gently took the dress and entered the dressing room. After stripping down to my bra and underwear, I gently slid on the silky dress and slowly pulling up the zipper. I turned and faced the mirror and gasped. The dress was more beautiful than I thought it was!

“Soph, are you done trying it? Come out and let us see,” Jade said. I unlocked the door and stepped out. Before I could say anything, Jade let out a very, very loud shriek at the same time Nick said: “We’re buying that!”

I shook my head at them before reentering the changing room to change back. Once I was ready, I gently took the dress in my arms and passed it to the very-bored looking worker who took the dress and hung it up on the racks again. I looked at the dress longingly before walking to Jade and Nick who seemed to be bickering again.

“Nick, Spiderman is definitely stronger than Superman!”

“No! Spiderman is lame.”

“No!”

“Yes!”

“Shut up, the both of you!” I interrupted, “let’s leave.”

“Where’s the dress?” Jade asked.

“Oh, I don’t want it,” I lied.

“You are so getting it! It looks perfect on you!” Jade insisted.

“No, it doesn’t.”

“Yes it does!”

“Where’s Nick?”

“Don’t change the subject!” Jade snapped at me.

“Guilty. But seriously, where is he?” We both looked around the store and soon spotted Nick holding the black sequined dress behind the counter.

“What is he doing?” I asked, worried. I can’t afford that dress! We both rushed to the counter only to see Nick placing the dress on the counter, saying, “I’ll take it.”

“Nick, I can’t afford that dress!” I said to him in a loud whisper. He raised his eyebrows at me and only chuckled. What the hell?

“Excuse me, not to sound rude, but this dress costs $4, 900,” the salesperson voiced out.

“So?” Nick raised his eyebrows at her once again.

“I don’t mean to offend you but a kid your age shouldn’t be looking at shops like this for dresses to buy for your girlfriend, moreover you chose one of our limited edition dresses.”