Loved or Unloved?: Chapter 22 - Truth to be told

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: Truth to be told

I stepped out of my car into the cool night air and locked my car. The warehouse that towered in front of me showed no sign of life, nor did the streets around it. I’m starting to have second doubts. Should I just go in the warehouse or should I get back in my car and go home where it was safe?

Then one by one, pictures of my friends, injured and hurt flashed through my head. I balled my hands into a fist at the thought of the person hurting my friends and suddenly, renewed determination coursed through me. I had to get this over with by going in, talking to the person and politely asking him to back off after knowing his reasons. A smile slowly grew on my face as I thought of the warm, comforting bubble bath I would take once this mess is sorted out.

Taking a deep breath, I pushed the warehouse door open. The rusty door let out a loud creak, breaking the silence of the night. The warehouse wasn’t pitch dark as I was expected. The ceiling lights were turned on but guessing by a few flickering lights, they wouldn’t last much longer.

Cautiously, I stepped into the warehouse before closing the door behind me. All of a sudden, I heard a pair of footsteps and then a dozen other pairs of footsteps around the warehouse. My heart thumped in my chest loudly. How many of them were there? As I walked to the brightest part of the room, the sound of my footsteps multiplied rapidly. After looking around, I noticed that the warehouse is totally empty, therefore I heard echoes of his footsteps.

“So you made it.” I whipped my head around my found myself staring into the hooded figure wearing the same mask and the same sunglasses I saw at Zouk, the café a few months ago.

“Um… hi,” I stuttered, not knowing how to start on what I wanted to say.

“Let’s not waste time greeting each other and just get to the point, shall we?” he suggested.

“Why are you always wearing the mask?” I blurted out. Immediately after the words left my mouth, I wanted to slap myself for letting my curiosity get the better of me.

He laughed humorlessly.“Have you seen a murderer without a mask?”

“Um, I guess not. It’s kind of creepy.”

“Oh really? I never would have guessed,” he retorted sarcastically.

“Well isn’t this just great. I’m getting killed by the hands of a sarcastic murderer,” I mumbled.

“I’m not going to kill you. You were the retard who wanted to meet up,” he replied.

“Can’t you just take off the mask? It’s really scaring me.”

“No, just hurry up and get on with what you want to say.” Maybe it’s time to put martial art skills in use.

“Well, okay then. That day when,” I stopped midsentence to kick him where the sun doesn’t shine, causing him to double over and fall head first to the ground, groaning in pain. Although I knew I was going to pay hell for this, I pinned him to the ground by sitting on him. After ripping off his mask and sunglasses, I threw them across the room before turning his head so I could see his face. What I saw made me blink and pinch myself a few times to make sure this wasn’t just a stupid nightmare.

Because the pair of eyes staring back at me were a familiar shade of brown.

They belonged to Nick.

“S-Sophie…” he started.

“Nick?”

“Umm… hi Sophie.”

“What the hell is going on?” Nick remained quiet.