Chapter 38

I hop in the shower to get ready for my day. Jackson and I are actually hanging outside of work for one of the first times.

He wanted to walk around on Santa Monica pier and you best believe I said yes.

Santa Monica pier, especially at sunset, is one of the most magical feelings.

After my shower I dry off and decide to wear;

My phone buzzes on my bed

My phone buzzes on my bed. I pick it up and see a text from Jackson.

I'll meet you at your apartment building and then we can uber there, just bc of parking & stuff lmao

I smile, he's right, parking at the pier is ridiculous. You have to pay regardless of where you are, and so many people and tourists are walking around it's crazy.

sounds good to me! when will you be here?

i'm about 5 min away.

cool! see you then

I put my phone in my pocket and sit on the couch to wait for Jackson.

"One of my favorite things about downtown Santa Monica are the performers." Jackson says, as we make our way from where our Uber dropped us off to the pier.

"Bro same, they're insane." I laugh.

We get to the road leading down to the pier and the amount of people makes my jaw drop.

"It gets busier and busier." Jackson says. "Do you remember coming down here as a kid and it being really quiet and you could go on all the rides and it was also cheap."

I nod my head. "I used to come down here with my bestfriends," My heart skips a beat when I think of Adriana and Zoe. "We would always hang out on the beach and swim in the ocean."

Jackson and I walk down the pier, just talking and having fun. Being with him made me forget all the drama between the girls and I.

"Do you want to go on the ferris wheel?" Jackson asks me.

"Oohh." I smile weakly. "Sure."

To be quiet honest I hate ferris wheels. I get so afraid of being on them, I don't know what it is but I get so nervous.

We are waiting in line when someone in particular catches my eye. A certain someone, with bright blue hair.

I was about to call out Kat's name, when I realized who she was with.

"Are you okay?" Jackson asks. I turn my head towards him and put a smile on my face.

"Yeah, I'm good." I keep facing Jackson so that Kat doesn't potentially see me.

"Kendall?" A hand touches my shoulder.

That didn't last long.

I turn around and come face to face with Kat

"Kat!" I give her a hug from over the fence of the line.

"What are you doing here?" She asks.

"I'm just hanging out with one of my close coworkers." I move aside so she can see him. "Kat this is Jackson, Jackson this is Kat."

"Nice to meet you." Jackson shakes her hand.

"This is Riley." Kat motions her hand to the person standing next to her, who I didn't want to see at all.

"Hi Riley." I smile at her and she smiles back. I look from Riley to Kat and she has an 'I'm sorry' look on her face.

Kat knows somewhat about Colby and I, so maybe that's what she's looking at me like that.

"Do you guys want to go on the ferris wheel with us?" Jackson asks.

"Sure!" Kat says. They hop over the small fence and get in line with us.

The line in general has moved quiet a bit but we let the people behind us pass us.

Jackson and Kat strike up a conversation, leaving Riley and I awkwardly standing there.

I don't really want to talk to her but I also don't want to make it obvious that I don't.

"How was the beach trip?" Riley speaks up suddenly.

"It was a lot of fun." I smile.

"Yeah, I bet it was."

Her comment makes me frown. What does she know?

"Oohh we're up next!" Kat smiles.

We finally make it on to a ferris wheel cart. I sit next to Jackson. Kat and Riley sit next to each other.

As soon as I sit down my stomach stirs.

"Kendall, are you okay? You don't look so good." Jackson notices me, struggling to keep calm.

"Yeah I'm fine, I just get a little nervous when I'm on ferris wheels." I smile weakly.

"Why didn't you say anything?" He puts his arm around me. Kind of uncomfortable at first, but then I start to calm down. I look up at Riley as we begin to move, she's sitting there, with a smug smirk on her face.

I don't know what she has up her sleeve, but I have a feeling it's not good.