Chapter 58

"What the hell?" Sam drops his controller and watches me do a terrible victory dance.

"Don't underestimate me, Golbach." I point a finger in his face before wrapping my arms around him.

"If I had known you played and also had a weird obsession with winning, I wouldn't have offered." He replies, but wraps his arms around me as well.

"She beat you 4 times. Not just 4 races, but 4 grand prix's." Kat chuckles with a huge grin.

"Yeah yeah I remember." He laughs and we pull away from our hug.

I look over at Jake and he has a smile on his face but it's different. Not like the smiles I usually receive from my best friend.

He knows I was lying.

I sit down next to him and he puts his arm around my shoulder.

"You ok?" I ask quietly while Sam and Kat talk about the game to themselves.

He looks down at me and raises his eyebrows.

"Why wouldn't I be?" He asks.

"Honestly?"

He squints his eyes at my use of our word.

"I don't think you should be the one asking me that." He says quietly.

My heart immediately drops and I could tell by the look on his face that he noticed.

"Kat and I are going to go get some food, you guys wanna come with us?" Sam speaks up and we both turn to look at him.

"No I'm good, thanks though." Jake replies.

"Same here, we'll wait for you guys to come back so we can continue this competition." I reply as well, trying to sound as enthusiastic as I could while also wanting to vomit.

"Ok, see you guys in a little bit." They both stand up and leave the apartment, leaving Jake and I by ourselves.

I look down at my hands in my lap, feeling Jakes gaze on me.

"So." He says. "What's on your mind?"

"Exploring." I look up at him and he nods his head.

I can't lie to him. I wouldn't have been able to keep it from him even if I really really tried.

"I didn't want to worry you." I continue.

"Worry me about what? What did Colby do?" Jake sits up a little bit and looks at me, concerned.

"No! Nothing like that. Colby didn't do anything." I put my hands on his and squeeze them slightly, hoping he understands.

"Well then what didn't you want me to worry about?" He asks, relaxing his body more.

"We were at this abandoned building and we heard other people in there with us. Colby started to freak out a little bit and he does this all the time so seeing him like that made me realize that something could really be wrong."

"But nothing happened? You're ok?" He asks.

I nod my head. "He got us out of there. I just didn't want you to worry about it, worry about me and Colby." I look down at our hands.

"I don't understand why you lied to me when I asked the first time." He leans back on the couch again.

"Well Colby didn't want me to-"

"Colby didn't want you to tell me?" He looks at me with a disgusted look on his face and it makes me feel terrible.

"Well, yeah." I shrug my shoulders, "he didn't want you to worry either."

Jake scoffs. "He doesn't care about that. He just didn't want to get in trouble because I was pissed."

"He cares either way." I reply, annoyed. "He cared about getting us out of there as quickly as possible and making sure we were safe."

"Probably, but then why wouldn't he want you to tell me? If he hadn't asked you to, would you still not have told me?" He looks at me, waiting anxiously for an answer.

"I would've told you." I reply, not knowing if that was the right thing to say.

"So you're just listening to everything he says? Not thinking for yourself?" Jake snaps back.

I can feel goosebumps rising on my arms and my eyebrows furrow.

"I can think for myself." I reply sternly.

"Sounds like he's got you wrapped around his finger." He mutters under his breath, probably so I couldn't hear him but oh did I hear it.

I heard it and my blood started to boil.

"I don't know what the fuck has gotten into you but I don't like it." I stand up, looking down at him. "Let me know when you've gotten your head out of your ass so we can talk about this like adults, yeah?"

I grab my bag off the counter and head for the door.

"Kendall, wait!" Jake calls and I don't turn around. I'm sick and tired of everyone blaming me for everything that they don't agree with. I'm sick and tired of thinking that people will always have my back. I'm sick. And I'm tired.

I probably look insane walking through the hallways of the apartment building, my thoughts running through my head so fast my brain would catch on fire.

I finally get down to my car and grip the steering wheel.

I'd never had an argument with Jake like that and it made me feel like shit.

Reminded me of other arguments I had with people who were my bestfriends...

—————————

A/N: we needed a bit of drama

sorry for the short chapter i'm just trying to gather all my thoughts for this story & which direction i want it to go in!!

ily <3