Chapter 13

Prem stood outside the hospital leaning on his black car. It was 2pm and he was on time.

She walked out with Chandni and spotted him leaning waiting for her and smiled. He saw another doctor calling them from behind and she looked at him. He smiled and signalled to her to continue as he watched her.

She had driven out all patience he had had over the years. Yes he had loved her very much and last few days were also bad. He thought her visiting him and spending time together would help him feel better but this was worse. He had her but now he wanted her even closer and that was beyond anything he could do.

She wouldn't deny him, he knew that, but how could he get carried away, on her first visit home, in a different city, alone with him. She trusted him and he couldn't let her down. She probably didnt realise what she created inside him. It was not about coming close any more last night.

He hadnt anticipated things to escalate so soon. She was maybe disappointed that he was distant but he knew how he had held himself back. He had heard of cold showers and it was the first time he was forced to try one in the cold weather of Lonavala last night.

He smiled as he shook his head. He needed a grip on his thoughts but how long he could was uncertain. She had her way of entering into his heart and now his mind which clouded everything else.

****

He was at her workplace to pick her. Leaning on the car as usual. It felt fuzzy and warm to her. He was actually doing things she had only dreamt of. Staying with her at late night shifts, impromptu dates, cozy moments of love and now picking her up.

She was waiting for him, seated in a restaurant where he had brought her for lunch; while he attended to a call. Dressed in a semi formal dark green shirt he was probably after work himself.

She smiled as he came back. "Sorry... office se tha... tumne order kiya..."

"Nahi, tum aajao... phir karte hain..." she smiled.

He smiled, "tum mangao... tumhara favourite hai."

"Har baar mera favourite hona zaroori tho nahi.." she frowned and he held her hand. "Kabhi kabhi tho mauka milta hai tumhare liye kuch karne ka...."

"Kabhi kabhi....?" She looked at him as he smiled. "Bohat waqt ki dil mein mohabbat hai Preeti..."

They ordered for starters and Prem looked at her in thought.

"Preeti.."

"Hmmm"

"Ek baar poochon..."

"Kaho na.."

"Tumhe i mean... bohat saal pehle hamare parents ne hamara rishta pakka kiya tha... tumse poocha tha...?"

Preeti smiled at him as she took a bite. "Rishta pakka nahi kiya tha... bas unki kwaish thi... aur phir Sangeeta ki shaadi ke waqt jab yeh baat huwi tho poocha tha..."

"Tumne haan kyun ki? Matlab... tumhe tho love marriage karni thi... aur shayad uss waqt tho tum tayyar bhi nahi thi shaadi ke liye."

"Mujhe love marriage nahi sachche pyaar... ek sachche saathi ki khwaish thi... haan sab ki khushi thi aur meri maezi bhi thi.. itna tho jaanti thi ke agar tumne bhi haan ki hai tho poore mann se nibhaoge..."

She looked up and he smiled, "tum ne haan kyun kaha..." she asked.

The food arrived and he served some as he took a breath in.

"Thab thak tho tumse pyaar ho gaya tha...," he sighed as she looked in surprise. "Sach... Pasand tho hamesha se thi tum... par Sangeeta ki sagai se pehle ke woh kuch din... kuch badal raha tha aur phir jis din tumhe Sangeeta ki sagai mein dekha... woh light green lehenge mein tum tayyar ho rahi thi aur main tumhe lene aaya tha... uss din yakeen ho gaya..."