Chapter 2

She was nervous was an under statement, her hands cold and her breathing uneven. It was a silence that made her count her pulse.

Her chain of thoughts broke when Prem asked her, "Aaj ka din kaisa gaya.. all wrapped up?"

"Haan... bohat seekhne ko mila yahan par... tumha.... aapka din kaise raha..?"

Prem did a double take and stopped as traffic lights came on. He looked at her smiling and asked, "Tum mujhe 'Aap' kab se kehne lagi...?"

Preeti looked up as Prem parked in a corner in answered her unspoken reply.

"Koi bhi rishta ho Preeti.. Izzat dil se ki jaati hai, Aap ya Tum se nahi. Aur mujhse poocho tho hum jaise hain sahi hain...."

She smiled as he turned her face to face him.

"Ek baat aur.... Tumse 'Tum' aur 'Prem' sunna, mujhe achcha lagta hai..." he whispered as the car came to life again.

She stole glances at him sideways, thinking he had suddenly become at ease with her. She knew he had a romantic side to him, he was playful, but hadn't seen passion yearning for her ever. He had always been a step behind, looking out to her comfort always.

He was amused at her glances "sahi se dekho na.. chup chup ke kyun..."

Having no reply to his teasing, she just looked away smiling. This was giving her a different vibe. Was he the man she knew. Her friend, who she was engaged to.

He began to lighten the air to make her comfortable to help her relax. He was aware she was shy to express way more than he was and he wanted her to get used to this as easily as he could make it for her.

Till then he would enjoy teasing her.. He knew by now that deep down she enjoyed his glances as much as he loved her closeness. It was new for both, but now it was high time, he came out in the open with his feelings atleast.

"Mera din bohat lamba nikla, office ka kaam aur jaane ki tayyari saath hai. Mumbai mein bhi kuch din bohat busy honge, bhaiyya aa jayenge tho asaan ho jayega."

"Kab nikalna hai...?"

"9 din mein...."

They were both thinking how things would progress from here. Prem was sure about one thing that whenever the marriage, they would never again be separated. She had sacrificed so much for his family n now she deserved happiness and love that was long due. It was not her fault. It never was.

Prem drove to a secluded but beautiful resort on the outskirts of the town and slowed down.

Preeti had butterflies in her stomach as she accepted the hand Prem gave her to step out.

They walked into the reception area holding hands as Prem turned to her, "Resort dekhein... bohat khoobsurat hai suna hai...?"

She smiled and they strolled in comfortable silence around the gardens. They spotted a swing in a patio some distance away when his phone rang. "Tum chalo, main bas aaya.." he said asking her to move ahead.

She nodded walking up to it, noticing it was quite dark on this side but it had the aroma of fresh flowers and was heavenly. She missed having him and turned to look around when small lights came up suddenly showing her a beautiful flower arrangement with a small banner that said,

I LOVE U PREETI

Preeti was shocked to say the least as she saw Prem coming her way.

He came over to her giving a nervous smile. "Iss baar jab mauka mila hai. Tho theek se karna chahta hoon. Jo dil mein hai, kehna chahta hoon..."