Work Life

Prem leaned back on his chair and took a deep breath.

It was 3 months since his trip to Singapore and life had changed. His beautiful wife worked full time and had exceeded the working experience she required and he was happy to see her busy.

Her contract was coming to and end though since she was a Temporary Consultant filling in for another.

They were yet to take a decision if she would continue. He wanted her to. He loved her being busy and turning him down when she was busy with an apology. And he loved her making up for it even more.

Life had turned out to be a dream, where he was dropping her to work everyday and picking her up. Staying with her on late nights, rushing her at odd times and still managing to steal in lunch dates on and off when they could manage it.

The only issue he had been having was in office.

Mr Mittal hadn't been too happy with him and gradually Prem realised how much he craved for vengeance and tried to hamper Prem's work.

Mr Edward's work was yet to commence fully and was on transition mode, yet roadblocks were huge.

He was facing resistance from all sides and 3 of his recent bids had been missed by a minimal margin.

Once could be ignored, the second got him thinking and the third confirmed his suspicion.

Something somewhere was going wrong.

He remembered Pritam Uncle's words which he has said when Prem told him of accepting Mr Edward's offer.

"Mittal apna sab kuch kho dega Prem.. Usne Edward ke iss partnership ko sirf istemaal kiya hai apne matlab ke liye..

Tune isse kaam nahi liya hai.. Woh... Uske paas bohat hai.. Tune uske woh najayaz harkatein aur manmaani aur galat kaam ka raasta band karwaya hai..

Har kisi ne uske hisaab se kaam kia hai aur uski har najayaz demand poori ki.. Professional favours.. Strings pull ki uske liye to achieve global credibility and kya nahi kia.

Tu ne usse uski jagah dikha di.. Bina kuch kahe... Usse samjhaya.. Kaam ki izzat karna zaroori hai.. Izzat aur achievement kaam se milti hai.."

Prem snapped out of his thoughts as the phone rang.

He needed to re track his work and find out what was wrong.

*********

It was 10pm when Prem arrived home and Preeti was up waiting.

It was first time after their initial marriage days that he was late.

She observed him to be quiet and thoughtful and he been in in his study till 1am.

She wouldn't had bothered much if his routine hadn't continued and she watched him apologise daily to her for being busy for days now. She knew he was worried and the 3rd quarter meeting was due less than a month.

She wondered if it was pressure affecting him.

His habits were changing and the prime example was each time he snapped when Dina tried to speak to him.

She had discussed Prem's issues with Dina and she was also probably trying to figure out but from what Preeti observed, it had almost blown out of proportion.

Prem had been in the study on Thursday when Dina spoke him and he had snapped and they had argued.

Preeti watched helpless from the sidelines and watched Dina storm out in the next few minutes.

Dina did not mention this to Preeti and had smiled when she saw her and Preeti had returned a small smile..

Something somewhere was wrong.