|43| Family Dinner

We're back in town from our trip to Thailand

We're back in town from our trip to Thailand. It was time to get back to business. I start my residency in two days and anxiety has been kicking my butt.

My family decided to come over to Kenzo's house to spend time with the baby.

We have dinner plans tonight at his parents' house. I'm a little nervous about that.

"Here you go, grandpa." Zo handed Julia to my dad. We were all in the family room talking, snacking, and watching tv. I prepared a little lunch for everyone.

"I must say I'm proud of the both of you, raising my beautiful granddaughter. Kenzo, you're a great father to her. You already have this dad thing down. —I'm happy knowing everything isn't so complicated anymore. I was worried." My dad smiled at him, genuinely.

"I know you were. You let me have it." Zo chuckled. "I'll never forget our little one on one conversation."

"Don't sweat. I'm confident in you." He placed his hand on Zo's shoulder then shook him a little, ending in both of them laughing.

"Awe, the future father, son in-law romance is sooo cute." I squealed at them both. They gave me a side-eye letting me know that it was too much. "Ok, I digress." I raised my hands, surrendering.

We laughed a little. Then suddenly my dad's expression changed slightly. "This stuff with Nelson will not be easy—" He started to say, but I interrupted by holding my hand up.

"There's no stuff with Nelson. When we got back yesterday, I filed for a restraining order." I hunched my shoulders. "Nelson will never have rights. The case I'm building against him is solid. It's about time he's held accountable for his actions. I will no longer compromise my daughters well being. —When the time is right, Kenzo and I will discuss sharing legal custody. Until then, I have sole custody of Julia." I grabbed Zo's hand. He leaned in and kissed my forehead. "Zo's her dad and always will be."

My father's face lit up, filled with joy. "That's the girl I raised."

I smiled back at him feeling proud of my own self.

My mom stepped out from beside my dad, peeking her head out. "Hey, I was there too even though she clung to you. I pushed her and Jr. out all in the same day. Carried them for nine months. You might've raised her but I brought all of that in to the world."

"Eh, you helped a little." He laughed, she shoved him while staring down at Julia in his arms.

"She's so beautiful."

"Di, may I stay with you some nights, since it's summer. I have camp, but I was thinking maybe after?" My little sister Kamala asked me.

"Sure. You know that's no problem."

"Good because I can't stand a whole summer with our parentals." She rolled her eyes.

I laughed. "Why not, what's wrong?"