|37| Birth Certificate

Everyone was on the other side of this enormous hospital room except for the father of my child and my man

Everyone was on the other side of this enormous hospital room except for the father of my child and my man. Zo sat beside me. Nelson stood at the foot of the bed.

I was so relieved when I was able to get up and shower. Babygirl's a day old, and I still haven't named her. —It's not all my fault.

Nelson's attitude came back. He had issues with the names I picked out. Anything he doesn't agree with sets him off.

We're back at square one.

"Ok, I'll leave the papers here with you to give you some time. Take your time." The staff member left the information on the table, then left the room.

"This is the manipulative bull shit I'm talking about with you. —I'm not signing it if I can't name her. I said you could choose the first name but middle and last should be my decision. Hell, she's already going to be staying with you. Why can't I name her?"

"What do you want to name her Nelson?" I asked angrily. Kenzo rubbed my leg, seated beside me. He didn't even get a chance to hold baby girl yet due to Nelson and his pettiness. He's about two seconds away from being escorted out.

His mom stayed a little to see my daughter but didn't stay long. She knew there was no turning back from this.

"I was thinking about naming her after my grandma, Josephine Alberta Carter."

"Uh, no. Not happening, I'm not naming her that." I wasn't budging at all. I didn't care how mad he got.

"Fine, then I'm not signing it." He shrugged as if this wasn't a big decision.

Two can play this game.

"Then don't," I spat back at him. He was a little shocked. He thought I was going to continue to argue with him or compromise even. Nope.

He turned and walked towards the door.

"If you walk out that door before signing this paper, you can just forget signing it."

He chuckled. "You would love that. So you and your little basketball boy toy can claim what's mine."

"He's none of your business. What happened to all those apologies you were giving out yesterday?" I knew it wouldn't last. He's so predictable.

"I meant what I said, but now you're just being a petty bitc—"

"Don't say another word to her." Kenzo stood up, gaining everyone's attention from the other side of the room.

I shook my head, breathing out harshly. I held on to my baby girl, as tears welled up again, clouding my vision. I was livid. This was the drama I was talking about I didn't want, and she's only a day old.

"This doesn't concern you. This is a family matter." Nelson  turned back around addressing Zo. Typical Nelson, he does the same thing to me. He said and does things to create arguments. He loves this attention.