Chapter 22

Shane returned, an hour later, he climbed over the railing and Briony walked up to him.

"Told ya I'd be back, didn't I?" Shane reassured her, pulling her in for a hug. She smiled, holding him.

He kissed her head, then let her go, moved closer to the group and gathered everyone around.

Briony joined them. "Right ya'll let's start moving these cars to make a clear pathway." Shane ordered.

The group started to get to work.

"Shane, what can I do?" Briony questioned.

"See if Dale needs help, if not, come back to me and I'll find you something to do." Shane advised.

Briony nodded, following his order and approached Dale who was working on the RV.

"Hey Dale." She called, he turned to look at her. "You need some help?"

He smiled. "That would be great, Pet." Dale was the grandad of the group. Old but wise, that cheeky grin that grandads always had.

He was loving, caring, he wanted the best for everyone. He was so sweet. "Can you pass me that flathead?"

Briony nodded, picking up the screwdriver and passing it to him. "You can learn something, watch me."

Briony nodded and watched Dale, as he worked on the engine of the RV. She knew nothing of cars but she needed to learn some skills, they were important for survival.

"Why aren't we all out there looking?" Carol approached Dale. "Why are we moving cars?"

Briony rolled her eyes, her brother was out there, looking for her daughter and along with Rick.

She should be grateful other people were risking their lives for her daughter. So why wasn't she?

Briony scrunched up her eyes at the woman, folding her arms.

Dale stopped working and turned to look at Carol. "We have to clear enough room so I can get the RV turned around as soon as it's running. Now that we have fuel we can double back to a bypass that Glenn flagged on the map."

Shane walked over, wiping his hands and joining in on the conversation.

He looked at Carol. "Going back's going to be easier than trying to get through this mess."

"But we're not going anywhere till my daughter gets back." Carol stated.

"Hey." Lori approached Carol. "That goes without saying."

"Look, Rick and Daryl, they're on it okay? It's just a matter of time." Shane told Carol.

"It can't be soon enough for me." Andrea joined, throwing Glenn a water bottle. He caught it swiftly and smiled at her.

Carol looked at all of them in disgust and then walked away, back to the railing.

"I'm so freaked out, from that heard that passed us by, or whatever you'd call it." She continued and took a sip of her water.

"Yeah. What was that? All of them just marching along like that?" Glenn questioned.

"Herd." Shane answered. "That sounds about right. Now we've seen it. It's like the night camp got attacked. It's a wandering pack, only fewer."

Shane sighed and then coughed. "Okay. Come on, people. We've still got a lot to do. Let's stay on it." He looked at everyone. "Let's go."

He started to walk away, to get to work.