Chapter 1

Hiding, running, surviving.

That's all she knew and the fact of the matter was, that's all she'd been doing for the past month. It seemed like a very long time ago that everything was perfectly normal. Well, what Briony would call normal. But now, she couldn't bare the thought of everything being normal. Now that word meant nothing but sleeping with two eyes open, being on persistent alert and fighting the dead to save her own back.

She could remember when her fathers drunken voice bellowed from the ground floor of the cosy house she used to live in. It was as if she could still hear his voice now.

If that wasn't enough to scare her, then the snarls from the rotten faced creatures that now walked the earth would do the job. Though the problem that still remained was the fact that she was alone and no matter how terrified she became, no one was there to tell her "everything will be alright".

For the minority of the day Briony had been scavenging for food, due to the hunting skills her brother had taught her it had been a favourable result. The only problem that she had once she retrieved her well deserved prize, was the fact that cooking it became a very difficult task for her to complete. She couldn't cook to save her life, this was a skill she desperately needed in the crazy shithole of a world she was living in.

Briony was Will Dixon's only daughter, although he had two sons, one of them being Daryl who had taught her how to hunt, both of them being older than her but they're age didn't define them all equally, as they all shared similar personalities. Her mother died in a house fire, in which, Briony would be dead if it wasn't for her brother Daryl getting her out of the house and saving her life. Her Father also died a couple of years later, resulting in her moving to Virginia with family and losing connection with both Daryl and Merle.

The event of her father's death seemed to turn her life around, as her father used to abuse both her and her brothers. Mentally and physically.

Now a days, she remembered Daryl as an exceedingly volatile person, but he was significantly more level-headed and rational than her older brother Merle. He was a lot more caring and selfless. One thing played on Briony's mind, it was the fact that if Daryl was still to be alive would he still have the same kind heart that he only showed to her?

At the beginning of the apocalypse, Briony was fixated on travelling back to Georgia to try and find her brothers. Unfortunately, the family she had took residence in, after her father's death, refused to go with her so she took it upon herself to travel by herself and look for the brothers she desperately needed to be in contact with once more. Watching the world become a nightmare to live in turned Briony cold hearted and selfish.

She didn't want to, but she was becoming more and more like her father everyday.

↠ ↠ ↠ ↠

Slumped on the dry earth that was under her, the 5"2 girl grabbed her knife ready to sharpen the blade on her arrow. Her dark brown hair loosely hung just past her bust, some of it getting in her face as she focused on the blade. The clothing she was wearing had become tacky over time but no matter how inadequate her clothes were it couldn't stop her beauty from showing.

For she was beautiful, the slightly faded freckles on her face, the small dimples on her cheeks, her profounding long eyelashes. This all added to what made her such a beauty. Although, to her she didn't care what she looked like. In her eyes, looks fade and she knew her beauty would be useless to her survival.