Chapter 13

Daryl's eyes scanned the faces of every single person sat around the fire pit until they reached his sister.

He felt himself becoming a lot more protective over her, things had already started to head south and they'd only resided there for a month or so.

He knew no matter what happened, she was his only priority. Keeping her safe is what mattered to him.

He joined everyone sat around the fire, stopping next to Briony, who was sound asleep on a sleeping bag, Bandit in her arm.

She'd been playing with Bandit all afternoon, Daryl found that this dog was a blessing. The dog was the only thing keeping her stable.

Things felt half normal with him around and he knew that Bandit would be very therapeutic for her when shit hit the fan.

Shane started to approached the group, his main priority was the health and well-being of both Lori and Carl.

Why?

The answer was a dark secret he kept to himself.

Briony also sprung in his mind too, as he neared the fire pit his eyes also searched around for her. He smiled a little when he saw her sleeping innocently next to her brother.

Shane stood in front of everyone, one foot on the rocks around the fire and the other on the floor, balancing him. "I've, uh..." He started. "I've been thinking about Rick's plan. Look, there are no guarantees either way. I'll be the first one to admit that."

The group continued to listen and hold on to every single word that Shane spoke. "I've known this man a long time. I trust his instincts. I say the most important thing is we need to stay together. So, those of you that agree, we leave first thing in the morning. Okay?"

Daryl confirmed in his head that this was the correct decision. Staying here was becoming way too dangerous. He wouldn't do anything to risk his sister getting hurt.

He knew this group was strong, although in his mind, some of the choices they made were wrong. He knew there was a lot of love here.

With love, comes strength but also weakness. Luckily for him, strength had the upper hand this time around.

With this group, he could see a future, filled with pain, but also with happiness and memories he would never forget. He was down for the ride.

As the others parted to go into their tents to get some sleep for the big day ahead, he stayed with his girl.

He looked at her deeply as she slept, she looked beautiful and completely innocent. She resembled her mother, looking at her gave him goosebumps sometimes.

He smiled as that same spine tingling feeling came around, laying next to her in another sleeping bag, he raised his hand and used it to stroke her hair.

Something he used to do when she was little, it sent her straight off to sleep.

Even though she'd changed, she became this stubborn, bitchy, annoying little sister. Deep inside, she was still that same little girl he used to know.

She just has to grow up faster than any of them wanted her to. It hurt Daryl to hear her swear, spit, bite and hurt others but, she had to in order to survive.

As much as that broke him, it also made him proud. That spiteful side of her was what made her a true Dixon. He knew Merle would be proud, he'd be smug as hell, watching her the way she is now.

Daryl chuckled to himself, imagining the scene unfolding right in front of him.

"Huh." Briony mumbling regained his focus, he looked at her as her eyes fluttered open, revealing her emerald green eyes.